my problem with stout fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majed41

Reaction score
12 days ago i started doing Brewer's Best Russian Imperial Stout Beer
Brewer's Best Russian Imperial Stout Beer Ingredient Kit 5 gal

the extract come with Lallemand Windsor Yeast
LalBrew® Windsor British Ale Dry

i must confest i have this extract for 6 month in my house and i did not put the yeast in the refrigerator until 3 days before i started the fermentation

OG was 1.066 and it went down to 1.034 just in the first 40 hours of the Fermentation and i can see it was very rough Fermentation . however for almost 4 days now it only move 2 point to 1.032 . according to the kit the final gravity should be 1.017 . now 1 point takes 4 days .

i did take a sample and put it in plastic bottle just to see if the Fermentation is still going . after 3 days this is what show up in the plastic bottle .

View attachment IMG_20210801_213526.jpg

View attachment IMG_20210801_213539.jpg

is this yeast or some type of bacteria ? also i'm planing to go for bottle conditioning and i wonder if this nasty looking things going to show up also in my bottle ? this is the first time i have such things really

All I can tell you for sure is that you need to quit messing with you beer and just let it ferment. This is an imperial stout; did you really expect to bottle it in in six days? Why did you even check the gravity at 40 hours and at least once four days later? Chill-out, bro! :mug:

Last edited:
Without any images from the side to see what it looks like in the container it's hard to say what that might be. But the first comment is correct, leave that thing alone for a while and you'll probably be fine.

Yeast get real active for a while, then they slow down. Most of the alcohol is made in just a few days. Or so I've been led to believe, but there is lot of other stuff for the yeast to do in the weeks after that time as well as continue to make a little alcohol.

So be patient. Stop with the negative vibes.

For a 1.066 beer, you probably should have pitched 2 packs of dry yeast. That's the problem with kits, they don't tell you stuff like that. Not knowing the specialty grains in the kit, but can kind of guess there is chocolate and roasted barley. Those dark malts can give you color without giving a lot of fermentable sugars, so it can be common for stouts to finish high. I have had a regular American stout finish at 1.028 in the past. The 1.017 FG per recipe is under ideal conditions. Definitely let it go for 2-3 weeks before you start worrying. But giving the fermenter a gentle swirl and increasing fermentation temperature may help.

As for your pics...the first one looked like a krausen, but the second one looks like grain floating on top to me? You used a bag to steep the grain right?

Back