My plot.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's not exactly cooking but it is food production.

I've just started work on the plot ready for the planting season.

dsc00006fo0.jpg

dsc00008ej4.jpg

dsc00010cp8.jpg

dsc00009ea6.jpg

I'll keep you updated if your interested.

Nice - looks like it'll keep you busy! Are you going to be growing any hops, or is it just fruit and veg?

The hops are in my Garden. This is fruit, veg and salads.

I have so far put in my friut trees and bushes, herbs, ruhbarb, horseradish and asparaguss.
Today I planted red onions and shallots. I also dug half a bed.

Cool. How many square yards (meters) do you have there? I use to rent a plot in Germany. We did not garden there, but we did campout and drink lots of beer and Heisse Abbelwoi after the first frost.

Looks nice, decent space too. The dog seems to have sprouted nice. Hopefully swmbo and I can get a good garden going this year.

That first picture with the brick row houses in the background made me think of wallace and grommet's curse of the were rabbit

Donasay said:
That first picture with the brick row houses in the background made me think of wallace and grommet's curse of the were rabbit

I dunno I was thinking more like the "Good Life"

Where do you live again Orfy?

Surbiton per chance?

Looks good. All you need now are some pigs, goats, chickens...

cool! I love seeing people who dig the earth :D

I need to take some pics this year. I still have snow on the ground. The deer came in and ate the Strawberry tops :).

Hey, I like that square foot gardening idea. We have a decent lot, but we are limited by covenants as to how much garden area we are allowed to have. These look like a way to maximize the space we do have! Cheap! Simple! I like it, adding to my Favorites!

The Pol said:
Hey, I like that square foot gardening idea. We have a decent lot, but we are limited by covenants as to how much garden area we are allowed to have. These look like a way to maximize the space we do have! Cheap! Simple! I like it, adding to my Favorites!

:off: First off that covenant boils my blood. Especially since I just read that there are 4 times the amount of pesticide used per acre of lawn vs. agricultural land.....:mad:

The square foot method is good, or look into John Jeavon's 'Grow Biointensive' method. Not sure the depth that the square foot method gets into, but Jeavons goes into calorie farming and their catalog is set up that way.

http://www.bountifulgardens.org/

Good stuff for small spaces. I have been getting most of my seed from :

www.fedcoseeds.com because they have an stellar selection and their prices are really hard to beat. Seed viability is excellent.

The Square Foot Garden... how do yuo cope with large vegetable plants like tomatoes? That is the only thing that we plant that seem to grow everywhere. Thanks! Let me guess, the trellis? Ahh, I need that for hops though!

how do yuo cope with large vegetable plants like tomatoes? . . . Let me guess, the trellis?
For vine tomatoes, a trellis is suggested; for bush tomatoes, you "combine" some of the squares. What I did instead is plant in five gallon buckets with drainage holes and tomato cages.

Rick

Just over 3 months on and it's looking a little different now.

I've been feeding myself with salad for the last month, I'm now getting some fleshy crops from it.

dsc00007uu4.jpg

dsc00014mo1.jpg

dsc00013zr1.jpg

dsc00012zo5.jpg

Looks nice, Orfy. Makes me wish I'd planted a garden this year.

By the way, in the middle picture on the last message, what's the orange/red/yellow peeking through the plants?

Rick

the first picture posted look like you have some Nasturtium in the background are they for food or decoration?

I'm keeping 4 of us fed now apart from meat, fish, milk and cheese
These pictures span no more than an hour from the food still in the ground.

Those who have grown their own will know the taste.

dsc00013ll0.jpg

dsc00015fh1.jpg

dsc00019bo5.jpg

dsc00020wu7.jpg

Back