my O.G. is always light...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigidyjim

Reaction score
I'm frustrated because this is my 3rd brew and once again my O.G. is light. This time it was 1.04 and the recipe says 1.061.

It's a partial boil, starting at 3 gallons, and into a glass carboy. I tried to layer water, wort, water, wort, and gave the carboy a good shaking, but I guess I still can't mix it up enough to get a good reading. When I look at the carboy, I can see that it is lighter at the top than at the bottom (I pull the measurement from the top).

Is there anything I can do to get a better reading? I want to be able to calculate my ABV correctly! Plus I want to know if I'm actually doing things right. Maybe I'm watering down my beer and I don't even realize that I am, or maybe I'm not boiling it hot enough, or... who knows? Plus I'm just the kind of person who likes stats, so getting a good O.G. is satisfying to me.

Back