My new SS pot......is rusting...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like it had some nice scratches in it, deep enough to kill the passivation layer. The spots are hard to 'diagnose' from the pic, could be mineral deposits or actual surface damage - I've seen similar damage when I accidentally left oxiclean in a stainless mixing bowl overnight, as it chewed into the passivation.

I would start out by getting yourself some Barkeeper's Friend and giving it a good scrubbing. I use a blue scotch-brite pad which is considered no-scratch, and is rated safe for stainless. BKF will remove pretty much any surface damage, including what you've got there. The above linked article, on the second page which says how to re-passivate SS, recommends using an oxalic-acid based cleaner, which I am pretty sure BKF is.

Man that sux!

As you just found out stainless steel is not rust proof but it is suppose to be resistant to rust. And there are varing grades of stainless steel some more suseptable to rust than others

If it were me I'd sent that bad boy back. Stainless aint cheap and to my way of thinking there's no way it should rust and pit that quickly. Hopefully you didn't use bleach on it.

Or like shaffer said clean the rust off. Bar Keepers Friend was easier for me to find than Revere Ware for re-passivating it.

That ring is very interesting. It looks symmetrical. Is there an aluminum sandwich plate on the bottom of you pot?

Don't think so.

I may try to clean it up the best I can. Seeing as how it took the morons over a month to send me the pot, I really don't feel like returning it and waiting another 2 months to get another one back. I'm contacting their return department today to see how much of a pain in the ass this will be.

Thanks for the links. :rockin: I'll have to check it out more thoroughly when I get back from work.

I'm not sure how that pot is turned out in the factory, but it's looks to me like it may have been an impurity picked up from a lathe tool. Probably just a surface issue and nothing to worry about.

Back