My new SS mash basket.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowman_fs

Reaction score
Not the best work I have done but it should suit the task. I wanted to ditch the bag and goto stainless in my e-MT/BK. For my hop Spyder I will make an all mechanical version without brazing as the trouble is just not worth it in my limited metalworking garage.

I still have some pickling to do and clean up before my first run with it in a few days but the size and fit is just what I wanted.

View attachment 1483504415313.jpg

View attachment 1483504652892.jpg

I guess more details are in order. 50x50 304 mesh around a sacrificial pot I cut the top and bottom inch off for rings. I added some bent legs to keep it off the element, a bottom hole with mesh cover and a slightly bent lifting handle.

If I like the use but get frustrated with the build I will buy an arbor fab version.

As crude as it is, it worked well. I double milled the grain and didn't add any rice hulls. The chugger circ pump wasn't able to flow at wide open but well enough to keep the temp controlled. The only grain that escaped was what I spilled over the side of the basket by accident when mixing.

I ended a single batch lauter (no sparging) at 13.5 brix and boiled to 15.5 Brix with 21L into the fermenter, so I have plenty of capability here for quick easy brew days in a single vessel. Overall it's better than a bag for sure. I'm going to try using the same basket in my 10Gal Rubbermaid cooler on a second tier with gravity drain back to the BK on another brew and see how I like doing re circ that way for larger batches or to get higher extract from the grain. That would make it a single pump, gravity Brutus 20 I suppose.

Back