My new pot :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slip_Stick

Reaction score
I purchased a Bayou 82 qt pot the other week and it came via ups just a few hours ago. It's a beautiful pot I have some plans for, but first i have to decide to keep it :(

It came with some decent-sized scratches on the inside of the pot, perfectly perpendicular to each-other. They span about 3" across, and 2" tall, and if you run a towel or your finger across them you can feel it catching. Is this going to affect the performance or longevity of this particular pot? Should i make an exchange?

2011-03-28_14-36-18_36.jpg

2011-03-28_14-36-08_111.jpg

Send it back. You are the customer. Demand proper service and what you paid for.

It shouldn't affect performance or longevity. Just using a copper immersion wort chiller causes more scratches than that!

They will cover the shipping costs both ways, and i wouldn't mind them as long as i know its not going to hurt anything. Anyone have any ideas?

:off: I think I can say this here... although the problem may have nothing to do with them...

I HATE UPS.

I have an aluminum brewpot that's 3-4 years old and seen a lot of use and immersion chillers. No scratches like that!

I'd send it back personally.

Send it back. You are the customer. Demand proper service and what you paid for.

I couldn't agree more. It's your money and what you received should have been in perfect condition.

However, what are you going to use it for? If you're going to use it as your BK, and your wort line will start above those scratches, then you'll be ok to keep it because boiling wort is going to kill any nasties that may have taken up residence in them.

At work, I would disposition this as "use-as-is, no impact to form, fit or function". It ain't perfect but the PITA it would be to rectify the blemish ain't worth it.

Yeah, I was once a quality geek, what of it.;)

I couldn't agree more. It's your money and what you received should have been in perfect condition.

However, what are you going to use it for? If you're going to use it as your BK, and your wort line will start above those scratches, then you'll be ok to keep it because boiling wort is going to kill any nasties that may have taken up residence in them.

Yes, It will be used as my BK.

Send them a picture of the condition it arrived in and find out what THEY want to do... Maybe they'll give a partial refund since it's technically a S&D item (Scratch and Dent)...

I got a pair of 20qt SS pots for $10 less (each) due to minor dings in them... :rockin:

The way I see it, you have 4 options here, depending on your circumstances/preferences:

1. You can send it back, and ask tor a new one. If you have the time, and don't mind the inconvenience.

2. You can do what Goldiggie said. Much easier, and you might get some money back.

3. You can get some wet sandpaper, and try to, a least, make it less noticeable.

4. You can use it as it is.

Neither one is a better option than the others. It's just up to you.

Ask for a discount over the exchange. Say 20%....?

The scratches won't affect anything. But you should be entitled to an undamaged pot.

This is a good option for everyone. The vendor doesn't need to mess about with returns and shipping and whatnot. I say send them these photos ans ask for 20% off.

I think a discount is fair. If you purchased a slightly blemished item in store they would knock the price down a bit and this is no different. That is a pricey pot at roughly $150 so 20% is $30 off, definitely cheaper than shipping it back and forth after you calculate the cost of handling.

Send them a picture of the condition it arrived in and find out what THEY want to do... Maybe they'll give a partial refund since it's technically a S&D item (Scratch and Dent)...
This is what I'd do, and if they say too bad then decide whether or not to pursue the issue. Is your time worth a few scratches you could buff out? Kyle

if they are just surface scratches, then just use some scotch brite and wear them down a little. if they are deep then send it back. your beer should never really touch the top part anyways.

Yep, I'd ask for a discount/partial refund on account of it being damaged. Those scratches won't affect function, but you shouldn't be paying full price for a damaged item

A partial refund does sound fair. I ordered my Freezer from HD. When it arrived there was a dent the size of a quarter on one of the corners. Called them up and they refunded 20% of the cost. I think I might have had to send a picture but not sure.

I decided it wasn't worth my time to make an exchange for another pot, i can't handle dealing with people half way accross the states just for an item. However, i did get them to settle for a 25% refund on my purcahse, which i think is fair.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I decided it wasn't worth my time to make an exchange for another pot, i can't handle dealing with people half way accross the states just for an item. However, i did get them to settle for a 25% refund on my purcahse, which i think is fair.

That's awesome. Now go read up on the Keggle Polishing threads and get rid of those damn scratches.

Most decent companies/retailers/resellers will at least make an effort to make someone happy with a purchase. Especially if something is supposed to be brand new and arrives looking like it was used already...

25% refunded is very reasonable, IMO... Especially since it was purely cosmetic and didn't impact the functionality of the product... If it was me, I'd do business with them again, since they made good on this, without having to fight it out... They probably saved money by giving the partial refund over getting the old one back, shipping out a replacement, and then having to put the first one up at a discount since they can't sell it as brand new now...

Most decent companies/retailers/resellers will at least make an effort to make someone happy with a purchase. Especially if something is supposed to be brand new and arrives looking like it was used already...

25% refunded is very reasonable, IMO... Especially since it was purely cosmetic and didn't impact the functionality of the product... If it was me, I'd do business with them again, since they made good on this, without having to fight it out... They probably saved money by giving the partial refund over getting the old one back, shipping out a replacement, and then having to put the first one up at a discount since they can't sell it as brand new now...

Yeah your right. I actually costed it out for them with the discount, shipping both ways, and time spent, then gave them my offer. It worked for me, but they still delivered below my expectations; i will consider doing business with them again.

Good choice and I am glad they gave you the discount! I was about to say that by the time it got all figured out you could have had your first boil/oxide layer done and ready to boil your first batch!!

Good luck and keep on brewing!

You could probably get the marks out of the pot by using a scotch bright pad on it... Use something like a sanding block to keep even pressure on it and you should be good... Just not sure how long it will take to go over the marks, until they're gone (or you can't really see them anymore)...

If it's Al then 000 or 0000 steel wool works well for me. I use the 000 for scratches, and 0000 for blemishes/ oxide removal. Emory paper in a fine grit would work, too. A Scotch-Brite disc on a drill like Bobby_'s using for keggle polishing would also do the trick. Kyle

If it's Al then 000 or 0000 steel wool works well for me. I use the 000 for scratches, and 0000 for blemishes/ oxide removal. Emory paper in a fine grit would work, too. A Scotch-Brite disc on a drill like Bobby_'s using for keggle polishing would also do the trick. Kyle

Looks like stainless to me... Could be wrong, but also don't see where the OP mentioned what the pot is made from...

BTW, I would never remove the oxide from inside an aluminum brew pot/kettle...

Also, using the Scotch Brite pad on a drill would make swirls where the rest of the pot has a brushed finish... Using a pad, by hand, would more closely match the current finish... Or you could use a brass wheel on a drill and go in the same direction as the existing finish. That won't be as easy as by hand though, if you want to have it meld with the current finish...

Or you could just leave it the F alone and not worry/care...

Back