My new mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sboyajian

Reaction score
Since I started doing all grain, I've been using a 5 gallon drink cooler. It's been ok, but many of my recipes are 12+ lbs of grains and it is a tight fit, usually causing me to have to go lower on water than I would like to.

It also meant I was fly sparging by hand, which over the course of over an hour would just irritate me.

Found a 52 qt. cooler at Target for $21 and decided to pull the trigger. Lowes was a tedious process of trying to get what I needed. Some of what I went in for they did not have, so I made do.

The fittings are lead free brass, stainless steel braid with copper wire looped inside.

For the sparge system I used 1/2" CPVC with a 1/2" threaded fitting on the top connected to a 3/8" barb fitting.

I can't confirm, but I think I need to replace the middle T with a four way so I can push water more easily to each quandrant, it seems to work, but I know some areas are not getting as much water as the others.

IMG_2681.JPG

IMG_2682.JPG

IMG_2690.JPG

IMG_2689.JPG

IMG_2688.JPG

Dude that's awesome! You will enjoy mashing in that cooler, and ya got a deal on it to! I paid more than you did for a 54 qt cooler, but it works great and I am not complaining :drunk:

I can easily make a Russian Imperial stout in my cooler using 1.25qts per lb of grain, I bet you could do the same kind of big beer in yours ( ;

Thanks! I'm excited to take it for a spin. I think a big imperial double ipa of RIS is on the agenda.

I couldn't believe the price. I expected the cooler alone to be $40-50, and my wife told me to check target. I don't know if it has a crazy amount of insulation, but I'll be doing some water tests soon (without grains) just to get an idea.

Good plan! I just went for it with my cooler and it took me a few batches to figure out the heat loses. Minus 3 degrees dumping water into the cooler, minus 8-10 degrees adding the grains. It was a learning curve adding in new equipment but the end results have always been drinkable! :drunk:

I don't know if it has a crazy amount of insulation, but I'll be doing some water tests soon (without grains) just to get an idea.

I wouldn't even bother testing with water, a mash will hold temps much better than water. Water only is a bogus test that will show high losses. The key with a larger cooler is larger grain bills. Covering the mash with aluminum foil during the rest might help as well. If you lose a few degrees, rdwhahb, just learn to anticipate the drop and mash a degree or two high.

I felt it was important to try with just water simply to look for possible problems. Doing so showed me a possible major area for heat loss right at the lid handle which I can now correct prior to throwing $25 of grain in there.

Back