My New Keg Washer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mZnthebend

Reaction score
First and foremost, this is not completely new. Recently Member "jpc" showed off his new keg washer, https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/my-cheap-easy-keg-washer-109684/#post1209374

I loved the idea and knew that I had the same 1/6 HP submersible pump in the garage. What I am contributing to the idea is:
1: A method to fill/drain the basin
2: A method to rinse the keg with hot fresh water
3: A filter set-up (1 gallon paint strainer) to keep from recirculating any large debris into the system

I added several "Y" garden hose fittings to direct the flow of water. I can have it recirculate the hot Oxy solution through the sprinkler head or through the keg posts or through both at the same time. I can then switch off the pump, open/close some valves, and flush the keg with fresh water. At the end of the cleaning process, I can pump the solution back up the "fill/drain" hose into the sink.

I set up the system in the milk crate to have access to all the valves. It's not the prettiest, but it happened to work out to be the right height with what I had on hand. In the future, I will place it in a deeper tub, this was just what I had lying around.

IMG_1464.JPG

IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_1467.JPG

This is AWESOME! This would work for carboys as well. If the sprayer wand is too long for carboys you could just get a shorter length and have a QD set up to change out sprayers. You could also get this into series and do a couple at a time.

I love this!

John

Not to disparage your efforts, but how is that easier than just running a brush through the keg? The setup and tear down likely takes longer than just scrubbing it out.

Sweet!!! I like it! More than one way to skin the cat. I like the addition of the paint bag to the pump to keep the chunks out (not that many should exist anyway, but good insurance).

Back