My New Keezer - Before and after Pic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Microphobik

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share a before and after pic of my new keezer. There are certainly fancier ones out there but I have never built a thing in my life so this was a real accomplishment for me. But as they say, where there's a will there's a way :)

11255556_10152915012642712_3642241934829971302_o.jpg

Nice job! You going to mount a drip tray?

Yes. I have the standard 19 inch drip tray that many use, and I bought those Nickle plated shelving brackets that look perfect, but I used 4 rare earth magnets and the thing just slid right off. I'll probably end up just gluing the bottom brackets in place.

What did you use to paint it? Was it a chore?

I wanted to use black appliance paint but they didn't have any and the shop I bought it from recommended a product that was just standard black spray paint which they said would work. The paint took fine, but it does scratch fairly easily. I've had to touch up a few spots already from failed experiments with the drip tray install. But it was nothing a quick blast with the spray can didn't fix seamlessly.

I gotta say, it was pretty scary just spray painting a freezer like that. But I did about three thin coats and a little touch up here and there and it came out great. Looks like it was store bought already black. I even threw caution to the wind and just painted the seal, which no one ever does because they are worried about cracking, and it looks great. Not sure if it's because the freezer was second hand and had been around a bit or what, but the seems don't have any noticeable bend to them and it really does not appear that cracking is going to be a problem.

It was surprisingly easy. I thought I'd have a ton of dripping and it would take forever. But it was actually really easy. Probably just 5 or 10 minutes a coat and three cans of spray paint. I did get one drip that I sanded down and tried to touch up that still shows a bit if I point it out and the light is just right, but it's really a non issue. Just looks like a small rust blemish under the surface. But you never see see it.

It's a real point of pride in my house. Can't wait for the next party :)

What size freezer is yours? With an 8" collar, I'm able to fit 6 ball locks in my 7.1 cu. ft.

It's a 300 Liter. The shelf is too high for 8 but I suppose I could get two 3 gallon kegs in there if I wanted to. But I think I'll likely end up using the shelf to make a bottle shelf. 6 kegs should keep me plenty busy though :)

Back