My new Herms system (pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foppa78

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of my new Herms brew system.
I still need to paint the frame and insulate the HLT and MT.
A big thanks to Swagman from the brewboard for all of his hard work on my system. Without him I would not have this new system.:mug:

2876732170058020267S600x600Q85.jpg

2788793980058020267S600x600Q85.jpg

2928903710058020267S600x600Q85.jpg

Thats one sweet rig. Swagman does some nice work. I want to get one of those full SS bottoms from him for my MT.
What did you use for burners/valves?

mr x said:
The top pic in post #2. Is that a flow meter, or a viewing glass for 02 mixing?

It is a sight glass for viewing the color/clarity of the wort as it comes out of the Herms coil.

WOW!!

Impressive to say the least. Looks like alot of time and energy went into that rig there!

SuperiorBrew said:
Thats one sweet rig. Swagman does some nice work. I want to get one of those full SS bottoms from him for my MT.
What did you use for burners/valves?

Thanks SB. Yeah the full false bottoms will be nice. I bought the 170,000 BTU cast iron burners from Agri supply. The regulator came from them as well.
Here is the link
http://www.agrisupply.com/cast-iron-burner-com/p/30295/cn/5400001/

Ryan_PA said:
Mine is red. All the others like it at HD were red. Maybe it is a regional thing?

ahh, well good to know, I thought it was universal. Well cool, you learn something new everyday.

I think that most real oxygen tanks probably are green but these disposable oxygen canisters by Bernzomatic are red.

There is an aeration store built into the copper tube right after the CFC to add oxygen to the wort before it goes into the carboy.

OX9_sm.jpg

Beautiful looking rig. I have one concern though and that is having a canister of highly flammable oxygen that close to an open flame...

GT

Got Trub? said:
Beautiful looking rig. I have one concern though and that is having a canister of highly flammable oxygen that close to an open flame...

GT
Oxygen is not flammable. How ever it will aid in burning everything around it. Sorry, I got carried away.

Got Trub? said:

GT

You might be thinking that I have a burner under my mash tun but I don't.
It really isn't that close to the flame since it is under my mash tun and it is not a direct fire. This is a Herms system and I recirculate through a copper coil in my HLT to pick up heat. I only have burners under the left keg and the middle keg. There is no burner there for the keg on the right. There is also shielding around the front and sides where the burners are. Hopefully I am safe but maybe some others would like to chime in here.

Foppa - that is un-friggin-believable. Man, I love all that copper everywhere, and the work inside the keggles is superb. I even got a little wood looking at that beast. Too bad about the Huskers stuff that came with it; you can probably get that off with a little elbow grease and paint thinner.

KD

korndog said:
Foppa - that is un-friggin-believable. Man, I love all that copper everywhere, and the work inside the keggles is superb. I even got a little wood looking at that beast. Too bad about the Huskers stuff that came with it; you can probably get that off with a little elbow grease and paint thinner.

KD

Yeah I figured I would get flamed over the Husker stuff but that is where I was born and raised. I will always be a husker fan which is pretty brave considering how bad we were this year in football. We will be good again soon I am sure of it.
Anyway thanks for the compliments. It really is a nice system and I hope I can put it to good use and make Swagman proud. :mug:

If anyone is interested I posted more progress pictures from start to finish in my gallery. Just click my gallery below my avatar.
I appreciate all of your kind words. Thanks!

Back