My new foodsaver, hop Pr0n and foodsaver bags

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

janzik

Reaction score
I just got my hopsdirect shipment yesterday and I needed to divide some hops up for my Dad's order. So far 2lbs in, each were 1+ ounces over.

I also just bought a foodsaver as well. I can't take credit for this, someone in chat or in a post here somewhere mentioned about doing some trickery with folding the foodsaver bags to make extra pockets. Here's what I have done.

Here's my Foodsaver, scale, 1lb of Pearle and 3 small containers.

IMG_1776.JPG

I measure my hops out in grams for better accuracy. 2oz/56g for each pack
IMG_1777.JPG

6oz of Pearle

IMG_1779.JPG

Now for making the foodsaver bags....

I cut a ~7 inch piece off the roll and seal one side.

IMG_1780.JPG

Next I fold over at the factory sealed sides (so the pocket is still open)

IMG_1781.JPG

I make a seal on the fold. This is a PITA to line up under the foodsaver.
IMG_1782.JPG

I now have this..

IMG_1784.JPG

I quickly peel apart the light seal and it will reveal the bag is divided into 3 sections now.

I fill each with hops (I sometime used a funnel to help not miss the bag), and then I sealed...
IMG_1787.JPG

clever trick. I think I would consider folding it over again and doing another seal 1/4" from the first, then you could cut between the seals to have three seperate packets.

Or you can use mason jars, and forego bags altogether.

I forgot to mention, that I was going to use the mason jars for my hops. The 2lbs I did so far were for my Dad and used bags since he won't have access to a foodsaver every time he brews.

I like the idea of the mason jars because they will be easier to organize, compared to the disaster that my freezer has turned into with the almost 2 dozen bags I now have in my freezer compartment.

What model foodsaver do you have? I have the lowest priced model, and it's driving me crazy. It only seals about three bags, and then I have to pull out and mess with the foam gasket. How is yours?

What model foodsaver do you have? I have the lowest priced model, and it's driving me crazy. It only seals about three bags, and then I have to pull out and mess with the foam gasket. How is yours?

I have the V2830... I have sealed A LOT with this thing this year and never had a failed vaccuum or failed seal. Sorry to hear about your problems...

I got the $139 v3460. I have a 20% off coupon, so it wound up being $111 plus tax. I just got it on Monday, so today is really my first day I've gotten to mess around with it.

I wish it would allow me to fully feed the roll in so I don't have to play oragami to make extra pockets. Also, when I'm making the initial (non vacuum) seal, it doesn't always immediately realize that I'm making a bag (the other side is still open) and I have to press Stop/Seal. Other than that it seems ok to use. I need to get me the mason jar attachment. They didn't have it at the Bed Bath Beyond I got the Foodsaver at.

I got a bunch of bags at Costco, six rolls for $20 (IIRC). And no Mason jars. So I'll stick with the bags. I apportioned my leaf EKG the other day, and that worked just fine.

I don't have a foodsaver, but have recently bought a seal-a-meal which I have found is nearly the same in practice and cost me about $40 brand new.

I like the folding trick, and the additional idea of adding extra lengthwise seals so that you can separate the "packets" as necessary. One thing that has bothered me about using bulk hops is that I seem to be unnecessarily exposing all the hops in a vacuum-sealed bag to oxygen, when I only want to measure out one or two ounces for a batch. So, I'm excited to explore any techniques that allow me to easily divide the hops into single-serving portions, or at least closer to that than I'm getting now.

In fact, I wonder if you did this just right, could you get two sets of smaller, 2-3oz pockets? I might have to take some measurements, and see if I can figure something out.

Another trick is to use a bag in a bag. Fill up a ziplock bag (leave slightly open) and put it in a vacuum bag and seal it. Cut the vacuum bag long enough to open enough times to use up the hops and reseal each time. Saves time and all the hops stay in one bag together.

Another trick is to use a bag in a bag. Fill up a ziplock bag (leave slightly open) and put it in a vacuum bag and seal it. Cut the vacuum bag long enough to open enough times to use up the hops and reseal each time. Saves time and all the hops stay in one bag together.

What's the purpose of the ziplock bag?

Thanks..what is the model of your foodsaver is..it is long process.. i think..such a little product do in three bags..then what about family...whole process is crazy...

I have the same problem as Yooper. I have already had them replace my first one and now the 2md one is doing it. I went with the jars as the are reusable forever as long as you don't break them.

But it sucks (or rather doesen't) when I am trying to seal other food items.

I have this model.

food%20saver%20image%201.jpeg

I have the same model as above, and it took me about 15 minutes to divide 1 lb into 2 oz packs (I had 1 3/4 oz left over, thanks Hopsdirect). And I didn't use the fancy 3 pouch way the OP did. I will have to try that next time. Also, the bags are easy to write on, so everything is labeled and dated.

Back