My new false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryC

Reaction score
I've been using a SS braid in my mash tun and it works well but I notice that when I was stirring my mash I was shoving the braid all around and sometimes when I finished a batch and was taking the grain out the braid would be sticking up like Dilberts tie. I had thought of a false bottom for a while but didn't want to cough up the cash. Then I saw a couple of folks DIY false bottoms and I got an idea. I could have the best of both worlds!

So here's my new false bottom. I bought a deep dish aluminum pizza pan on Amazon for $10, drilled a million frick'n holes in it and then cut out a "mouse hole" so it would slip over the top of my braid fitting in the side of the tun. It fits great and if I want a seal around the fitting, I could just pack some cotton in there before I start my mash.

I haven't had a chance to use it yet but I should have a brew day coming up in a couple weeks. I'll let you know how it goes. Meanwhile, let me know what you think!

20130407_155110.jpg

20130407_155141.jpg

20130407_155158.jpg

It looks great!
I'd look into getting that seal so you don't get any grain slipping through on you.
Also, do you know how much dead space that leaves behind in a 10 gallon cooler? I'd love to know for when I try something similar.

I would drill holes in the side wall too. Maybe just a row or two close to the bottom. That way no wort will be left between the tun and the false bottom.

So are you keeping the braided tubing on in addition to having this false bottom on there? If that is the case, I wouldn't think you would need to worry too much about sealing up the "Mouse Hole".

Thanks for the feedback all! I will measure the dead space and let you know. Guestimating, the pie pan is about 1 1/2" so I think I'll have plenty of room (it's a 10 gallon cooler)

Yes, I'm leaving the braid in place because I think it is a better "filter" than the drilled holes.

I probably will drill a row or two of holes in the side - I just got tired of drilling after a while!

Back