My new Coleman Xtreme Marine Ultimate 58qt arrived today..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joeunc

Reaction score
My Cyber Monday purchase for $28.71 from Coleman was delivered today. Man is it a beauty. I am going stainless braid on this one (batch sparging) Had a smaller round rubbermaid one before.

I am wondering, how much more would it cost to just call up bargainfittings.com and have them send me all I need ready to go and not have to make the trip to Home Depot to search for all the parts and have to cut the braid myself etc... I wonder if they can ship a straight up "all you need" order prepped and ready to go?
Anyone have any experience with them?? Just want the easiest way possible to convert this to my new MLT.

thanks I may just call them also and ask. I just know some have gone to home depot and such and enjoyed doing it all themselves. I am looking "plug and play".

The cooler is awesome btw. the all white, with the stainless hardware, large handles, anti-microbial on the inside. It is really nice. Shipped to the house for just under $40 from cyber Monday.

I have ordered from Bargain Fittings. Wayne is top-notch and will take care of you. It is hard to beat their prices.

yep mine came in yesterday morning right as i was pulling out of driveway. looks perfect for brewing thanks for tip on bargain fittings. is it actually cheaper after shipping then going to home depot or ace?

You won't find the stainless at Homedepot and if you find it somewhere else, they won't be able to touch Bargain Fittings prices. If you don't want stainless, just go to Home Depot, price the parts then compare.

i have the same bulkhead setup that I scavenged off my old tun.

i'm gonna use the rubber grommet that came on the cooler instead of the internal o-ring.

man I can't wait to brew with this thing.

yeah i hate going into home depot place is huge when only looking for one item. if you use another metal will it effect the flavor in anyway?

I like the stainless option at Bargain fittings. After measuring the wall thickness at the sipot, it is 3/4 of an inch. This equates to the 2" nippple on their site. One step up from standard. I will call them to confirm however. My next brew day is not until Christmas eve so I have time.

yep mine came in yesterday morning right as i was pulling out of driveway. looks perfect for brewing thanks for tip on bargain fittings. is it actually cheaper after shipping then going to home depot or ace?

Most people who use brass report no issues, but some say yes they have treated it ahead of time, there was just a thread about this recently.
I just think the stainless looks really good on this since the rest of the hardware on the cooler is stainless.

yeah i hate going into home depot place is huge when only looking for one item. if you use another metal will it effect the flavor in anyway?

allright will go with stainless. i don't have a tape measure that will fit in the hole left by the spigot. does anyone know what length bulkhead you need? or can i just measure the length of the spigot once i remove it too get a good idea?

I measured last night and got the the depth to be 3/4" and the diameter to be 1"
I think from their site that steps you up the 2" nipple. 1 step above the standard.

allright thanks 1 final question. on the picture of the bulkhead from the bulkhead kit it doesn't appear to have threading on both sides. is this really the case or am i paranoid? i would like to go with the braid with female fittings on the end for quick and painless setup.

just give them a call, the guy there is very helpful he has explained it to me in past and he can tell you exactly what to "add to your cart"

allright thanks. glad i got the cooler on sale. probably going to cost about $45 to convert it based on what i added to my cart so far. no hurry to order can't brew outside until damn winter is over

come on!!! Just stand closer to the burner!!!

allright thanks. glad i got the cooler on sale. probably going to cost about $45 to convert it based on what i added to my cart so far. no hurry to order can't brew outside until damn winter is over

I have a garage but I use it as a storage area for all the crap I've collected. on top of that birds live in there and i have no water supply for an immersion cooler. if i brew on my deck i can easily reach the hose fitting for an immersion cooler. probably not a good idea to have a turkey fryer in a garage with a bunch of birds nesting in the roof that might crap into my beer as well

i took a strip of paper and put it inside the drain hole and folded it over the edge and measured too the crease . it came to 5/8 inch. should i just pay the 25 cents more and get the slightly longer bulkhead? going to skip on the coupling and just get a braid with a female end so that I can attach it directly to the bulkhead. is there any reason to get a 3 piece valve over a 2 piece valve?

go to the hardware store and buy both.

return the one that doesn't work.

what are they, like $1?

I know how to deal with the birds--especially if they're tasty birds.

"I'm sorry officer, I was cleaning my 12 Gauge when it accidentally went off."

i wanted to buy it all on bargain fittings but i guess that is the best idea. just got off the phone with the guy on bargain fittings seems like a nice guy and don't want to not buy from him after he helped me out so much

on a second note you don't have an option to get the kit without the nipple so i guess i should get the standard nipple and get a larger one from the hardware store if it's too short. edit now that i see that it would cost $5 more if i order too short of a nipple wouldn't it be better to order a longer nipple? would there be any harm in that? it's only a quarter more

it seemed last night that when I took off the spigot and used a tape measure my thickness was right at 3/4. I haven't tried the piece of paper yet, but from their site anything 5/8 and up is a step up to 2" nipple.

From the bargain fittings site it says:

Cooler with 2.0" Nipple - 5/8 to 1" thick

on a second note you don't have an option to get the kit without the nipple so i guess i should get the standard nipple and get a larger one from the hardware store if it's too short. edit now that i see that it would cost $5 more if i order too short of a nipple wouldn't it be better to order a longer nipple? would there be any harm in that? it's only a quarter more

alright all ordered. stainless 2 piece ball valve, stainless barb, and stainless braid with female attacher. total shipped $44.75

Sounds great, thanks for the info. I haven't done my yet, not brewing until after Xmas.

thanks, let us know how the final product turns out with a pic or somethins

thanks

seems like a 2" nipple will work. I had a 1.5" at home from my old tun and it was a bit short.

will do my fittings should be in the mail today. i have to leave for work at 1. does bargain fittings shipping require someone sign?

don;'t know how many, but like I said earlier. It's one fine looking MLT. Not much a pic could show that isn't on their site or online.
Stainless steel hinges in back, all white, larger than normal handles,
inside it looks the same with the channel drain off the spigot like other coleman xtremes.

i know many hbt=ers bought this cooler, lets see some pics, mine is not here yet.

DSC00635.JPG
DSC00634.JPG
don't think ball valve is on there tight enough. i can twist it completely in a circle any reccomendations for a fix?

is that your bargain fittings set,, all stainless? you went with the 2" nipple correct? That is what I am getting. Ordering next week for an after xmas brew. The ball valve may twist,,that's fine as long as it is all sealed. Throw some water in there and test.

thanks
Joe

yeah that's the bargain fitting kit all stainless. leaked a little before adding some Teflon tape and now it's fine. yeah i went with the 2" nipple. glad i did don't think 1.5" would be long enough. i used the washer that came with the kit along with the seal from the original spigot on the inside. that red stuff you see on the cooler is blood. cut myself on the threading of the nipple. overall easy setup. ordered the braid with female connection on the inside and didn't get the coupling. it just screws directly onto the nipple

yeah that's the bargain fitting kit all stainless. leaked a little before adding some Teflon tape and now it's fine. yeah i went with the 2" nipple. glad i did don't think 1.5" would be long enough. i used the washer that came with the kit along with the seal from the original spigot on the inside. that red stuff you see on the cooler is blood. cut myself on the threading of the nipple. overall easy setup. ordered the braid with female connection on the inside and didn't get the coupling. it just screws directly onto the nipple

you should not try to kill you self that way

Back