My new Barley Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanderfell

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Looking for a little friendly (I would also take unfriendly) advice on this barley wine recipe. It is brewed, and in secondary aging. It is clean and very smooth, but, it's a barley wine, and that is about all I can say. I am not disappointed, this was the goal for my last 5 gallon batch, as I am moving to a fancy 10 gallon dream system from Spike Brew Kettles.

Anyway, I am wanting to add oak and brandy flavors too it. I was thinking 1 oz medium toast cubes that have soaked in about a cup of Pendleton Midnight whiskey. I do not want to overdo the flavors in the barley wine, but I want it to be there. Anyone have and suggestions or am I about right? Also, how long should I have the cubes in the beer before bottling? Recipe below.

Barley wine

Malts:
24 lbs. 2 row
3 lbs. oatmeal
1 lbs. white wheat
1.5 lbs. crystal 40
.5 lbs. crystal 120
1 lbs. light roasted barley

Hops
.5 oz Chinook hops, 120 minutes
1.5 oz Chinook hops, 60 in minutes
1 oz Centennial hops, 30 minutes
Irish Moss, 15 minutes
1 oz Cascade hops, 10 minutes

Yeast: 2 cans Imperial Brand Pub Yeast

Instructions:
Mash all grains for one hour at 152 degrees.
Sparge at 170 degrees.
Two hour boil with hop regimen above.
Ferment at 66-69 degrees.
Rack to keg or secondary and age for three months.

Og 1.100

Thanks! :mug:

When I Oaked my barley wine I soaked the oak chips I had in the liquor of choice. (Bourbon) in your case for about a week and a half. Then I strained the chips and used the oak spiced liquor to flavor my barley wine to my preference. I'd probably go that route again. But that said a week and a half to two weeks was plenty to get the woody Oaked flavor from the chips I used.

When I Oaked my barley wine I soaked the oak chips I had in the liquor of choice. (Bourbon) in your case for about a week and a half. Then I strained the chips and used the oak spiced liquor to flavor my barley wine to my preference. I'd probably go that route again. But that said a week and a half to two weeks was plenty to get the woody Oaked flavor from the chips I used.

So you didn't dump the oak chips in, you just poured in the bourbon without the oak chips?

Back