My mead smells like farts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForsbergFotos

Amatuer
Reaction score
Ok maybe not exactly like a fart, but in the same neighborhood, maybe a little methaney. First time it has ever smelled like this, taste is a strong hot alcohol and not much else.
Started out with 7.5Lbs of honey for 3 gallons and had a bag of strawberries, blue berries, raspberries in for the first 4 days.
OG 1.117 yeast 71b-1122.
used campden tablets and pectin enzyme with the 12/24 rule before pitching yeast.
Day 11 sg was 1.040 and sample still had good fruit/honey finish
Yesterday was day 16 SG of 1.002 so I hand stir degassed and moved the bucket to my basement (50F) where I do my racking to let it settle a little first.
Tonight I went and popped the lid to double check the SG and got hit with smell, but also a lot of the suspended particles had dropped out too. I'm not sure if one has something to do with the other.

Dump it or rack to carboy and wait it out?

I have been really adamant about my sanitation too, the other wine kit and cider I have been doing at the same time have had no such similar problems

Any advice appreciated

Hydrogen sulfide smells like rotten eggs. Hydrogen sulfide is caused by stress to yeast and yeast is stressed when they are forced to ferment sugars but don't have enough nutrients in the system to maintain the health of the cells. Did you add DAP or Fermaid K or O? Honey is notoriously short of nutrients and not all fruit is nutrient rich as far as yeast are concerned. They need nitrogen and they need calcium and various other organic material.
It may be too late to provide nutrients for the yeast - but you could try whipping air into the fermenter to dissipate the hydrogen sulfide. If that is ineffective you could try racking the mead through copper wool (the kind used for scrubbing dishes). The copper will bind to the sulfur giving you a tiny amount of copper sulfate and water.

The "hot alcohol" may be because your ABV is about 15%, so a) the alcohol level is high and b) you may have produced a large amount of fusels. To remove the latter you may need to allow the mead to age. To deal with the former I understand that you can balance this out with tannins.. so you might want to oak this mead for a week - ten days..

I did find the information on hydrogen sulfide late last night and used 2 campden tablets and my drill mounted degasser to whip the hell out of it and it until the battery died, dissipated a lot of the smell. I did use the LD Carlson yeast nutrient blend as it was all I had on hand at the time, but I know it includes DAP.

I'll see about getting some copper wool too

There is, I think, a risk that you will be feeding bacteria and other organisms and the nutrients themselves can, they say, add off flavors if too much is added..but I have tried not to test that claim...

Using extra nutrients is not a current mead making best practice. That is why I've started using the TiOSNA protocol so the amount of nutrients is calculated based on SG and yeast nitrogen requirements.

I'll have to look into the TiOSNA more, I just did a basic staggered nutrient addition

I am happy to report that I just racked it into to a carboy and things are definitely smelling better, I got the copper padd but couldnt find a good way to rack over them without having a large potential for a big mess

Ive had my Mead going for nearly 4 months now, still looks like tea.

It smells a tad vinegery, but also of strong alcohol. I tried to take a Hydrometer reading and it floated in the Brew, suggesting fermentation is finished. Do I wait before its cleared before bottling? Should I throw it?

Ive had my Mead going for nearly 4 months now, still looks like tea.

It smells a tad vinegery, but also of strong alcohol. I tried to take a Hydrometer reading and it floated in the Brew, suggesting fermentation is finished. Do I wait before its cleared before bottling? Should I throw it?

Looks like tea? Did you add tea when making? Where yeast nutrients added during fermentation? Are you sure that its finished?=, whats the Hyrdometer reading now and what was it at the start? still in Primary or racked into secondary fermentor?

Looks like tea? Did you add tea when making? Where yeast nutrients added during fermentation? Are you sure that its finished?=, whats the Hyrdometer reading now and what was it at the start? still in Primary or racked into secondary fermentor?

too many questions for such an amateur lol :)

yes, still looks like tea, has not cleared yet. I know it sounds daft but cant seem to read the reading on the Hydrometer I bought - just know by what ive been told that if it floats its finished fermentation. maybe I should try to read it again :)

Yeast - normal bread yeast or similar..

It floats prior to fermentation too so that logic is incorrect. You need a test container and racking cane so you can take a sample and put your hydrometer in it so you can read it. A hydrometer is the ONLY way to see where the fermentation is at.

I would suggest spending a little time on youtube watching wine making videos to get a better idea of the whole process

thanks for the tip Forsberg.

I actually decided to try some Mead as a recommendation from a friend, who brews it regularly and said it was really easy. he tends to just put it all together in a demijohn and leave it for 3 months or so and it tends to work out for him. I suppose it's like a lot of things where it doesnt always work out good first time.

I had the farty thing once too, after a while it just went away on its own.

Also, buddy of mine just made 40 gallons of mead that ended up (accidentally, of course) tasting exactly like cool ranch doritos.

Latest posts

Back