My master plan for today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Gwynne

Reaction score
It just come to me as I was about to start fermenting some sugar water to put brown sugar in for taste...... is this going to work? For 1 gallon I put 2kg of white sugar and 500g of brown and it’s potential says 25% approx (off the scale my of hydrometer) will it be like a weak rum? I was also thinking of ice distilling it to further it to a spirit. What’s is the max yeast cap. For Young’s super wine yeast? As I think I’m pushing it. Is ice distilling a good idea or just a waste of time ....any ideas.... is this drinkable on its own or should a flavour be added. This is just an experiment but great full for any input!

Last edited:
Brown sugar is white sugar with added molasses.

Fermented molasses has a metallic/minerally taste that most people find disgusting.

To cleanly ferment sugar you need a good nutrient protocol like TOSNA or BOMM.

In my opinion, sugar fermentation and freeze distillation seems like a lot of effort to make what amounts to a cheap vodka.

I've had homemade moonshine. It's not something I would drink straight.

Back