My Mash Tun for a 3gal batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abdominousabel

Reaction score
So I switched to all grain brewing and I made a 15gal mash tun out of a wheeled square cooler because I want to have the potential to make 10gal batches.

The other day I tasted a milk stout and loved it! So now I wanna make a 2.5gal keg of it. So that would be a ~4gal boil.

Can I use my mash tun to mash such a small grain bill (6-9lbs)? Or should I just mash with BIAB?

Any opinions before I buy this 2.5gal keg lol idk if I should buy it considering it’s the same price as a 5gal. But I wouldn’t wanna experiment with 5gals at a time with future styles

So I switched to all grain brewing and I made a 15gal mash tun out of a wheeled square cooler because I want to have the potential to make 10gal batches.

The other day I tasted a milk stout and loved it! So now I wanna make a 2.5gal keg of it. So that would be a ~4gal boil.

Can I use my mash tun to mash such a small grain bill (6-9lbs)? Or should I just mash with BIAB?

Any opinions before I buy this 2.5gal keg lol idk if I should buy it considering it’s the same price as a 5gal. But I wouldn’t wanna experiment with 5gals at a time with future styles
You should be able to do either.

One thing to think about is kettle size and if you are using an immersion chiller how much surface area of it will be covered by wort. If you have a big wide kettle and small percentage of the coil is covered it could take a while to cool.

Oh wow good point, that’s the only aspect I wasn’t considering, my immersion chiller. I’ll just use my 5gal kettle and with the reduction in volume the heat capacity should be less.

Thanks again

Back