My mash efficiency is higher than assumed by recipes...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrBJones

Reaction score
BeerSmith says that my mash efficiency has been running around 80%, but it seems that most recipes assume around 68%. As a result, my OG runs around 5-7 points higher than expected, and my ABV also ends up higher than expected. Is there a way to have BS automatically adjust malt amounts - base and steeping - for the higher efficiency?

This is what your customized equipment profile is most useful for. Since it reflects your brew house efficiency and process losses, it can predict what a given grain bill can produce in your system.

If you are using printed recipes or one found on the internet, then you can create a new recipe using your equipment profile, enter in the grain bill and hops based upon the recipe. Once everything is entered, use the sliders below the design box to change the OG back to the target for the recipe as printed. Repeat with the IBU and color sliders to allow the program to adjust the ingredients to fit your process and system.

This is what your customized equipment profile is most useful for. Since it reflects your brew house efficiency and process losses, it can predict what a given grain bill can produce in your system.

If you are using printed recipes or one found on the internet, then you can create a new recipe using your equipment profile, enter in the grain bill and hops based upon the recipe. Once everything is entered, use the sliders below the design box to change the OG back to the target for the recipe as printed. Repeat with the IBU and color sliders to allow the program to adjust the ingredients to fit your process and system.

Awesome...thanks!

Back