My Malbec kit came out great!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scientific hippie

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
After all the tinkering and Teflon taping and worrying about the sampling port installation on the FastFerment, I loaded it up with Cellar Craft Argentine Malbec. I put the grape skins in the hop basket and squooshed them daily. Toward the end of the 8-week secondary fermentation, I sampled it and found it very cloudy. I "racked" it (closed the valve and emptied the collection ball); when I reattached the ball nothing flowed in; after a few pokes with the pointy end of my drill mixer, it filled up again; the oak cubes were probably clogging it. I added k-meta and left it alone for the better part of a week. I again sampled it yesterday; it was still cloudy. I decided to pour the cloudy stuff into a gallon jug and let it settle; to my surprise, only a few drops came out cloudy and then it became clear; it was very funny! I filled 27 bottles, corked them, labeled them, and enjoyed one with hubs last night. Success! I have a second FastFerment with an even crankier sampling port (put in a substitute; it leaked about one drop per day for a few days and has now stopped) bubbling away with an Amarone. I have kombucha on top of the fridge that should be ready for secondary today or tomorrow. I have had an awful cold and a sinus infection over the holidays; this is making me feel much better!

what was your total time for the Malbec from pitching to that first bottle?
The wife really likes the Frontera Malbec and I'm wondering if this would be an acceptable substitute.

what was your total time for the Malbec from pitching to that first bottle?
The wife really likes the Frontera Malbec and I'm wondering if this would be an acceptable substitute.
Pitched on Nov 17, 2018. Bottled on Jan 12, 2019. It's a kit that contains grape skins, so you need to either put them in a nylon bag and squeeze them every day for two weeks, or, if you're using a FastFerment, put them in a hop basket and tamp them down every day for the same amount of time.

Wow...that should still be in the fermenter. 4 more months at a minimum.
You will have tons of sediment and probably fizzy wine.

Time is your friend...use it.

Wow...that should still be in the fermenter. 4 more months at a minimum.
You will have tons of sediment and probably fizzy wine.

Time is your friend...use it.

If you read my post, there was very little sediment, and it's not fizzy at all; I added k-meta. Kits have a lot of fining agents and the wine is done sooner (though, of course, I'll bottle-age it). I have another kit brewing and then I plan to make elderberry wine (if my elderberry bushes cooperate); THAT will take a long time!

If you read my post, there was very little sediment, and it's not fizzy at all; I added k-meta. Kits have a lot of fining agents and the wine is done sooner (though, of course, I'll bottle-age it). I have another kit brewing and then I plan to make elderberry wine (if my elderberry bushes cooperate); THAT will take a long time!
I read your post...my opinion has not changed. Leave it in the carboy for 4 more months.
P.S. I only make kit wines.

Back