My local brew pub is now rated #9 by RateBeer.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In fact, there are a lot of PA brewpubs on that list... Otto's would probably be my favorite.

Never hit Selins Grove pub yet, but planning on doing so soon. Where exactly in Selinsgrove is it?

Oh and speaking of ottos and state college.

I forgot to mention; mark your calendar for July 28 if you will be around. State college is having a brewfest. $35 I believe for a session, includes buffet dinner, etc.

I plan on going out with the little lady and staying overnight. Y'all should come also. I'm staying at the Hilton Garden Inn...

cool, there are a couple in my general area that I wasn't aware of - I'll have to check them out

SilkkyBrew said:
In fact, there are a lot of PA brewpubs on that list... Otto's would probably be my favorite.

Never hit Selins Grove pub yet, but planning on doing so soon. Where exactly in Selinsgrove is it?

Coming from the strip: cross the little green bridge and just keep on going through two more lights. When you start to enter the actual downtown area, it's on your left, in the basement of the Governor Snyder mansion. You have to walk down some steps outside the building to get there. If you hit the light that's in the center of town (the one right next to BJ's), you've gone a block or so too far.

Incidentally, I've never been to Otto's. I'll have to check that out sometime.

EDIT: P.S. - They have a website that might help. Its design is pretty sad, but you can see what's on tap.

Vermicous said:
Any good brewpubs around Hershey? Friend of the wife lives there, would be good to know.

If they don't mind a small trip to Carlisle, there's a place called Market Cross Pub that's great. They only make a few of their own beers, but they have a really great selection of stuff on tap and in bottles. Their fish and chips meal is the best I've had anywhere this side of the Atlantic.

Vermicous said:
Any good brewpubs around Hershey? Friend of the wife lives there, would be good to know.

Lancaster Brewing Co/Walnut St. Grill is decent. They're located on the corner of Walnut and Plum in downtown Lancaster. They also make some of the best chicken wings I've ever had...Creepin Dog Hot. They're hot enough to be painful; but the flavor is so irresitable, you can't stop eating them. One word of caution though...if you eat too many, your mouth goes numb and you can't taste the beer anymore.

ayrton said:
If they don't mind a small trip to Carlisle, there's a place called Market Cross Pub that's great. They only make a few of their own beers, but they have a really great selection of stuff on tap and in bottles. Their fish and chips meal is the best I've had anywhere this side of the Atlantic.

Haha, how ironic. Me and the lady ate there on last Saturday evening. I had their house red ale, a delirium nocturnum, and the king-fish and chips... Took a 6-pack to go as well of some stuff I've never had. :ban:

SilkkyBrew said:

Silkky mapquest show about 1.5 hr from SC.

PS, Charlie told me he is releasing a Rauchbier soon.

Selinsgrove is about an hour east of State College on I-80, and about 1.5 hours north of Harrisburg on Route 15.

As for Hershey, PA - I highly recommend the following places
Appalachian Brew Company in downtown Harrisburg
Lancaster Brewing Company in downtown Lancaster
Corvette Bar & Grill - PA Rt 422 about 10m East of Hershey

jezter6 said:
Selinsgrove is about an hour east of State College on I-80, and about 1.5 hours north of Harrisburg on Route 15.

As for Hershey, PA - I highly recommend the following places
Appalachian Brew Company in downtown Harrisburg
Lancaster Brewing Company in downtown Lancaster
Corvette Bar & Grill - PA Rt 422 about 10m East of Hershey

You can make it from Harrisburg to Selinsgrove in an hour no sweat. I've not been to Corvette before; I may have to check that out.

Corvette is a really small place, but they usually keep 1-2 troegs on tap and maybe some random micro that they have. They have good wings too!

Well, I finally got around to visiting the SelinsGrove Brewing Co. on Saturday evening. Wow, what I have been missing...

Place was great! Atmosphere perfect as it is situated in the basement of an old 'colonial' (or something similar) style home. Dimly lit, exposed wood, brick, and mortar . Old wooden style seating/tables, etc. Small bier-garden-esque area outside the entrance which was loaded with people drinking the house brews.

Anyway, the place was packed when we arrived (probably due to the small interior with only 10-12 tables), but we only waited about 20 minutes for a table to open. In this time we each sampled a pint of the house brews and all were pretty spectacular. The IPA I had was a little 'weak' for an IPA, but still very very tasty and drinkable. Once we got our table we got two samplers (9-10 beers to each I believe) and I didn't find one poorly crafted beer in the entire bunch. Even the beers they had in the same style (two porters, etc.) were very distinct and tasty. The food was also top notch. The little lady had somelight 'pub-fare', a pretzel sandwich with ham and swiss that came with potato salad etc. and it was great. I had the angel-hair pasta with an alfredo-ish sauce, chunks of lobster, etc. that was on special. This was divine... Even moreso when I got the bill and see my meal was only $9.95, the little lady's was 6.95, and the sampler was under $7 I believe.

Anyway, I'd recommend this place to anyone and totally understand why it sits in the Top 10 Brewpub list in the US.

I went to Emmett’s Ale House (92) last week and was pretty unimpressed. The beer was ok and the food was average. I don't think I'd go back again.

SilkkyBrew said:
Well, I finally got around to visiting the SelinsGrove Brewing Co. on Saturday evening. Wow, what I have been missing...

I figured that would be your reaction. I love that place. Gonna have to take Chan again soon, maybe for her b-day.

Did you have a favorite?

All the beers were pretty good to me. If I had to choose favorites it would be on styles I prefer alone which are the IPA and their Belgian Tripel (which was obviously wheat-based with Orange/Corriander). The Tripel was VERY easy drinking for 8.5%; I can see why there was a limit of 3 on those.

I also liked the (non-Baltic but I can't recall its name) Porter if I had to choose a top 3.

Driving from Buffalo to Harrisburg again today and gonna have some time to kill, so I think I'm finally gonna stop by here and give it a try. I'll let you know what I think.

That list is biased. Yeah most of those joints are top notch, but I have been to a few on the list that I would not return to. Anyway, just like everything it's subjective. Looks like I need to make my way to PA though.!:mug:

skeeordye11 said:
Driving from Buffalo to Harrisburg again today and gonna have some time to kill, so I think I'm finally gonna stop by here and give it a try. I'll let you know what I think.

Ah, that trip will take you down 11 & 15, which ought to put you only a couple miles from the brewpub. I might be there tonight myself, actually, with a large party of people.

Back