My little keezer baby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valicious

Reaction score
I just finished a little project I've been working on, and I figured I'd post it here since I have a few progress pictures.

I spent a few weeks scouring craifslist every day, and I ended up finding a great deal for a HUGE 6' chest freezer for $120.
IMG_0304.jpg

I took the measurements and had them cut a sheet of MDF into the pieces I needed down at Home Depot. (MDF was the cheapest, $20 for a 4'x8' board)
The board measures 60'x15' and I drilled 7/8" holes with a holesaw with 3" between them.

23587_674818551379_32816567_3881490.jpg

I also picked up some Minwax stain (Mahogany color) and prestain. I laid the boards on some Sankey kegs I have and ended up doing two coats with about 8 hours drying time for each.
You can see me starting to put the boards together here. At first I was going to use Liquid Nails to stick it to the top of the freezer, but then I decided on using a bunch of L-brackets.

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0314.jpg

I ended up using the 7/8" bi-metal hole saw to cut through the metal part of the freezer, and then I used a stepbit to drill through the foam and plastic underneath.

I really like how nicely the wood stain came out.
IMG_0380.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

Here'sx a picture of the aftermath of an entire corny of German Pilsner draining into the bottom, mmhmmm...beer slushies. ALWAYS TIGHTEN YOUR HOSE CLAMPS!
IMG_0319.jpg

how did you insulate the box?

Are you going to paint it to match?

That thing is sorta "epic", i like it!

how did you insulate the box?

Are you going to paint it to match?

That thing is sorta "epic", i like it!

I haven't insulated the box..'yet'. The only thing that isn't being cooled is just a foot or so of line, so maybe a few onces at most. I'm debating whether or notto insulate the exposed line by wrapping it in a crapload of electrical tape though.
I'm planning on putting similarly-stained MDF boards on the front and sides of the freezer, and eventually a countertop on the freezer in front of the box. I'm debating between a nice quartz one or a steel one painted with the kind of paint that changes color depending on the angle and light. I'm leaning towards the quartz though, it just seems to go better with the wood color.

Very nice coffin box. Are those individual holes for each line?
You going to dress up the rest of it to look as nice as the tap box?

The box is attached to the freezer lid, that puppy ain't moving. There's hinges on the back of the box, so the lid can swing up and back.
When I open the freezer, the box just stayed solidly connected.

Back