My Last Hop Harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uechikid

Reaction score
I just harvested my hops for this year and because of the low numbers I've decided not to waist any more time and effort growing hops.
I've been growing them next to the house (stucco). They started out great this year with very long side arms that were full of buds. Then, it was very windy for weeks and beat the crap out of my plants causing damage to all of the side arms. I only got 4oz (dry) from 3 & 4 year old plants. My cascade did a little better but not by much.
It's just not worth it any more. Hops are so inexpensive when you buy them by the pound.
:(

sorry to hear that you had such a crappy harvest.

although cheaper, there is one thing you can't say about mail-ordered by-the-pound hops: "i grew these". i don't do it for the savings, i do it because i like eating/drinking what i grow. if money is your main motivation for growing then it might not make sense, especially after a crappy year. maybe next year will be better.

Honestly, saving money was never the reason I wanted to grow hops. I thought it would be fun to grow my own and brew with them. When it's stops being fun, stop doing it. That's where I am right now.

Honestly, saving money was never the reason I wanted to grow hops. I thought it would be fun to grow my own and brew with them. When it's stops being fun, stop doing it. That's where I am right now.

reached that point on many levels of brewing in the last year, know just what you mean. only reason im not with you on my hops harvest is cause mine have several functions. check this out......https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/hops-bier-garden-317079/ if you find something to do with em other than take up space it makes the work mor worth while if you get crap harvests.

Back