My lager fridge / kegerator has died.

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Donasay

Reaction score
My lager fridge / kegerator has died, I was attached to this thing because it was so cheap to make, and it was my first. I made it out of a 20 year old chest freezer I got off of craigslist for $50, I got a temperature controlller off of the internet for $40, I made the draft tower out of spray painted PVC piping $13 and got two taps with shanks a regulator and a 20lb co2 tank off of the craigslist for less than $100.

All in all I spent less than $200 on a 15 cubic foot chest freezer with a tower and two taps, it was a wonderful device, but unfortunately the freezer has died, and repairs will be next to impossible. I guess my only solution is to wait for another chest freezer to become available on craigslist and rig a new one together. Unfortunately who knows when that will be, and while I wait, my lagers suffer. I have a double batch of marzen and a double batch of pilsner sitting at room temperature instead of lagering...

mjcoussens

Reaction score
Long-time lurker here...

As long as the insulation is intact you could always just keep a few bags of ice in the freezer. Sort of like a mcGyver/super-sized "son of fermentation" chiller. All is not lost.

Matt

Fingers

Reaction score
My lager fridge / kegerator has died,
I feel your pain. My keezer died but I hadn't kitted it out with taps yet. Unfortunately I'm in the home renovation season now so I don't have any money for a new one. I can only cool one keg at a time in an old fridge in the garage.

Good luck with the search for a replacement.

nathan

Reaction score
at least in my area craigs list has chest freezers coming out it's ears. It should be easy to find a new one!

Latest posts