My Kegerator Build *Please Help*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
I'll be putting together my kegerator this weekend and just bought all the parts. Looking around the web, I see some folks insert a "spacer" into the fridge door. I did not buy any of these, but I could easily fashion some myself from some cheap PVC tubing. I'm wondering, though:

1. Are these necessary?

2. If so, what purpose do they serve?

Cheers!

The spacer is really just to give the nut on the shank something to tighten against instead of pressing on the inside of the fridge door. I've seen people use a scrap of wood on the inside of the door instead to spread the load of 2 or three shanks. That's probably the way to go.

The spacer is really just to give the nut on the shank something to tighten against instead of pressing on the inside of the fridge door. I've seen people use a scrap of wood on the inside of the door instead to spread the load of 2 or three shanks. That's probably the way to go.

I see. So rather than cutting 3 pieces of PVC, use 1/2" or so thick piece of wood on the inside of the fridge door, long enough to hold all three faucets? I've got some extra ply wood lying around, think that'll be fine?

Thanks for you help.

Did some more research and found the PVC/ply wood thing is optional and really only suggested for those who often remove their shanks, which I won't be doing. Depending on how acute they feel, I'll decide during the actual build. Thanks again.

BrightSpotBrewing said:
Did some more research and found the PVC/ply wood thing is optional and really only suggested for those who often remove their shanks, which I won't be doing. Depending on how acute they feel, I'll decide during the actual build. Thanks again.

*secure, not acute

I actually did both. I put in both pvc spacers and then cut a scrap of 1/2" plywood 3" wide and 18" long for the inside.

I could likely have just gone with the plywood on the inside, but I opted to include the PVC also for good measure. I wanted a good tight seal on the shanks, and didn't want to worry I was going to pull in the thin sheetmetal of the door if I tightened too much. The Spacers & wood eliminated that risk on both sides, plus took up a bit extra of the shank (I ordered 5.5" shanks when I could have just gone with 4.5").

It's all personal preference, but it's so easy to find and cut 2-3 quick pieces of scrap PVC I couldn't find a reason not to.

Help! What is the OD/ID of the PVC I should use for spacers? At HD now and want to pick some up.

Just got my Perlick kits (x 3) in the mail... boy, they sure are pretty. Should have them all installed by this evening. Unfortunately, I only have one keg with beer right now.... an India Red Ale and Hard Cider are fermenting!

Done!

image-904336880.jpg

With room on the right for another tap, should it be necessary ;)

Oh... I didn't use a spacer, fine... and a drip tray will come next month.

Latest posts

Back