My Kal / Electric Brewery Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fermentednonsense

Reaction score
This is gonna take a while, but figured I'd start posting some progress

Can't take too much credit on the enclosure, because I bought it pre cut off the classifieds. Here are some of the switches and lights installed.

ForumRunner_20131202_215344.jpg

ForumRunner_20131202_215405.jpg

Decided to go with the MYPIN TD4-SNR to control HLT/Boil Kettle. It has SSR output, and manual control. Not to bad for the $24.99.

41kSR8PcYBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

and the REX-C100 to monitor Mash temps. I'm going with the herms, so no SSR control needed.

maN97M45ysIa8QWoERXzZMg.jpg

PIDs installed. The mypins were slightly too large, and the dremel got away from me when I was enlarging the holes. So I have some caulking to do. Oh well.

ForumRunner_20131221_154547.jpg

Bottom of panel complete. It was originally drilled for 115v 15 amp flanges, but I got a good deal on 20 amp parts, so there was some slight modification there as well.

ForumRunner_20131221_154621.jpg

Idea for the brewstand. Not to scale, of course. The mash tun is on a small stand to allow for a 2" triclover bottom drain.

1389055490979.jpg

Your setup is similar to mine... I also have the td4 the Rex c100 (which is being replaced soon) and the sestos timer...
And I also got a little carried away cutting the holes for the pids.

IMG_20140102_190322.jpg

60' x 3/8" herms coil made from my home depot clearance copper. Grand total of $28

View attachment 169256
I was recently schooled about copper coil and the fact that the hvac stuff we buy at home depot and can easily bend is not the same stuff they use to make commercially sold chillers... the stuff at home depot has other metals apparently added for insulating properties and the make it more playable.... the walls are thicker and it also doesn't transfer heat as well...
I will have to do a bit more research but what I was told makes sense. And the guy who was telling me about it was the son of the owner of a large home brew store who has worked there most of his life.

I was recently schooled about copper coil and the fact that the hvac stuff we buy at home depot and can easily bend is not the same stuff they use to make commercially sold chillers... the stuff at home depot has other metals apparently added for insulating properties and the make it more playable.... the walls are thicker and it also doesn't transfer heat as well...
I will have to do a bit more research but what I was told makes sense. And the guy who was telling me about it was the son of the owner of a large home brew store who has worked there most of his life.

That's surprising. I built a cfc out of the same stuff a while back, and was able to get my wort down to 48*F by using a pond pump to circulate ice water.

That's surprising. I built a cfc out of the same stuff a while back, and was able to get my wort down to 48*F by using a pond pump to circulate ice water.

I built my immersion chiller from the HD stuff too which I now use as my herms coil.
It came up in conversation when I was praising my new b23-20 plate chiller... He stated he liked his immersion chiller better than his counter flow and I mentioned me not being impressed with mine... he then told me the first one he had he made and found out later the ones made from the pure thin walled copper worked more than twice as well when he switched...
Granted its the opinion he formed after switching when he was told about it by one of his customers years ago...

So far my 25ft of home depot 3/8 coil has worked well in my new herms configuration... it is sensitive to the speed of the flow through it I've noticed though.

Back