My IPA is mellowing out.. make it stop!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiffcow

Reaction score
I bottled my IPA about a month ago, and first opened a bottle a week afterward (I know, too early, but it was my first ever good batch). At the time, the hop flavor and bitterness were overwhelming. At 3 weeks after bottling, it was right where I want it. Now it's starting to get more mellow, and I'm worried that, if this trend continues, there won't be much bitterness at all in a couple weeks. Is there any way to stop this? Should I just drink it now while it hasn't aged too much? I can't imagine that commercial brewers have this problem, so what do they do about it?

Maybe youll have to add more hops to your taste so that it mellows right to where you want it, thats what wine makers do when adding oak cause that too mellows in so you actually need to add more then what you want at first.

From what I understand, hop flavor will mellow over time. I am fermenting my first hoppy Pale Ale right now.

Many of the big hoppy beers, like commercial IPAs, have a best by date for this reason. After this date the beer is still good and drinkable but it may have lost some of it's original hoppiness.

Search for 'Randle the Enamel Animal' and see what others have done to bring back that amazing hop flavor and bitterness in an IPA.

Back