MY IPA flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyer

Reaction score
I made a true brew IPA kit for my second brew ever. I left it in primary for a week, secondary for a week and then kegged under pressure for another week at about 35 degrees. It tastes ok, but not what I expected. It has a caramel taste to it. I do remember making a mistake when I made it, I forgot to put the screen in my funnel so everything went into the primary. Would that cause this flavor? I'm hoping as it ages a little more it might go away.

My first brew was a blackberry porter that came out awesome, unfortunately I kicked that keg last night.

I really don't know about the grains, it was all in one kit and I don't have any of the directions with me.

I was reading in one of my brewing books and it said putting the trub in the primary can cause off flavors? Are they wrong then?

Pouring all the wort into the primary won't cause any problems with off-flavors. I wonder if it's the kit you used? Carmelly taste sounds like poor quality liquid malt extract to me. I suggest trying a different kit, like a different brand.

A malty IPA. My vote is either you burned the extract which can give a caramel flavor or the hops were not the correct hops so you did not the the IBU's an IPA would require.

Could have burned some of the LME on the bottom of your pot, if LME is what you used. Did you remove it from the flame when you stirred/disolved it?
It might also just be a little green only 3 weeks out.

The one extract IPA + specialty grains beer I made took over 4 weeks in the bottle to start to get good.

Using dry malt extract(DME here) and adding it late to the boil will help with the caramel flavors. Search for 'late extract addition' on the forums and you'll find bunches of info.

jvh261 said:
Could have burned some of the LME on the bottom of your pot, if LME is what you used. Did you remove it from the flame when you stirred/disolved it?
It might also just be a little green only 3 weeks out.

I did turn the flame back on to the lowest setting on my stove when I started dumping in the second can. I don't think it burned and there was no sign of anything burnt when I cleaned the pot. I hope that's not the problem.
I'm trying to let it age longer, it's hard though because the other keg kicked last night. I'm down to bottled beer or this.

Back