My IPA--Comments and suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philosofool

Reaction score
8 lbs. GW 2 row
4 lbs. Baird's Maris Otter
.5 lbs. GW C-15

1 oz Citra 60
1 oz Chinook 60
1 oz each Chinook, Citra, Simcoe, 30 min whirlpool
3 oz Simcoe dry hops
1 oz Columbus dry hops
(double dry hopped three days apart or so)

WLP 001, 250 bil cells, fermented at 68

Moderately sulfate water

Mash at 147, 60 min., then bump to 158 for ten, then sparge.

You have a good handle on the grist.

I would ferment 5 degrees lower, mash 2 degrees higher.

And switch up hop schedule to this:

1.0 oz Columbus 60
1.0 oz Chinook 10
1.0 oz Columbus 10
0.5 oz Simcoe 10
2.5 oz Simcoe 30 min whirlpool
1.0 oz Columbus 30 min whirlpool
3.0 oz Simcoe dry hops
1.0 oz Columbus dry hops
1.0 oz Chinook dry hops

I mash my IPAs that low to get them extra dry, and add some simple sugar to help out.

I like the 60min then straight to whirlpool additions. Doesnt waste any hop aromas IMO. But, why waste a hop as aromatic and tasty as citra on a 60min addition? I think you'd be better off doing like 1.5oz of a common bittering high alpha hop and saving that citra to add to the whirlpool. My last few IPAs have had 8oz or more go in after flameout and since I recently have been able to do kegging and minimize o2 exposure, they've come out fresher and brighter than anything I can buy off the shelves

The reason I'm using the Citra to bitter is that I have a pound of it. Next year when I order hops, I'm getting a pound of magnum and a pound of CTZ, but this year I don't have that.

Oh yeah I gotcha. I ended up getting a vacuum sealer (supposed to be a bday present from my dad to my mom LOL) and its really helped out with hop storage. I remember buying a pound of simcoe randomly one time and having to use them for bittering in like stouts or something stupid

Back