My insane 25 Gal, 100 Percent Hard Plumbed Tri-Clover, Automated Tippy Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kickflip,

Looking damn good there mate, you're getting me excited to get the panel sorted when I get home!

Is that the chalkboard screen? Have you removed it from the plastic case? Or what? Where have you located the RPI?

Andy

Kickflip,

Looking damn good there mate, you're getting me excited to get the panel sorted when I get home!

Is that the chalkboard screen? Have you removed it from the plastic case? Or what? Where have you located the RPI?

Andy

Thank you!

The panel from chalkboard has a plastic lip around it, it has no backing like you are assuming. I took some clear double sided 3m tape and added it to the plastic lip, gluing it down to the panel. its very secure.

The RPI is going to be mounted on the wall between the monitor and the brewtroller.

Great proceedings I see, as always!

I was asking you too about the touchscreen mounting choice you've made, nice and simple solution you've found! What about the ambient light sensor? Did you choose to set the touchscreen always at full backlight power?

Also, is the RPI finally working well with wifi?

goingmad said:
Great proceedings I see, as always! I was asking you too about the touchscreen mounting choice you've made, nice and simple solution you've found! What about the ambient light sensor? Did you choose to set the touchscreen always at full backlight power? Also, is the RPI finally working well with wifi?

Yeah it was mind numbing problem to mount the monitor. It looks really good with the tape. As for the sensor, I just ignored it and kept
It in the inside of the panel. I figure if it's dark in there the screen will always be fully backlight. Lol we will see how my theory works

Yeah it was mind numbing problem to mount the monitor. It looks really good with the tape. As for the sensor, I just ignored it and kept
It in the inside of the panel. I figure if it's dark in there the screen will always be fully backlight. Lol we will see how my theory works

I thought the backlight dimmed in the dark as you don't need some much "contrast". Can you just switch off the auto-adjust?

I thought the backlight dimmed in the dark as you don't need some much "contrast". Can you just switch off the auto-adjust?

Oh wow I definitely dropped the ball. haha Obviously I have way to much going on these days

It's alive!! Munus the stupid estop wiring, maybe someone can help me out?

image-1134799488.jpg

image-1125173277.jpg

Thank you Claudius,

I still have alot to do, setting up the gateway? server and getting everything to work like it needs to. its been a pain and my PI hasn't wanted to cooperate with me so far.

Looking good man. I have enough difficulty fighting my modem and router to get a good connection for COD, I could only imagine my profanity if I tried to get a computer to brew beer :).

Looking good man. I have enough difficulty fighting my modem and router to get a good connection for COD, I could only imagine my profanity if I tried to get a computer to brew beer :).

Well luckly i have two internet connections at home, I bought a separate powered wifi module for the RPI that works, but I need to connect the internet through the USB to the brewtroller. Kind of a Pain

kickflip_mj said:
Well luckly i have two internet connections at home, I bought a separate powered wifi module for the RPI that works, but I need to connect the internet through the USB to the brewtroller. Kind of a Pain

As in two separate ip addresses or just multiple ways to plug in? I run hard line for some devices and wifi for others. I can tackle some stuff but it can be hellishly frustrating. When the going gets rough I have a network administrator buddy with all the fancy certs to get me going.

kickflip_mj said:
Well only one IP address but two wirless routers. Lol

That's different, what is the benefit if splitting off a modem like that?

Just got two folks tonight saying yes to rent my house so once the paperwork is done and they have the keys and I have the check I can once again think about getting my new system operational.

the reason Its split is the original router comcast gave me was crap, so we added a better one. The only problem is my computer/ brewery will only connect to the comcast router. (first world problems)

I am really excited to see your brewery get operational. I still have some work to do but business got a tad crazy this last week.

kickflip_mj said:
the reason Its split is the original router comcast gave me was crap, so we added a better one. The only problem is my computer/ brewery will only connect to the comcast router. (first world problems) I am really excited to see your brewery get operational. I still have some work to do but business got a tad crazy this last week.

That's interesting. Routers are finicky, I have been having issues with my internet connection dropping randomly since I got my Xbox one, my buddy said the most likely culprit is that the router is not handling the xbones windows 8 operating system and a firmware update should do the trick...better because that was an expensive router. I was able to do about an hour wiring while my little guy slept just now, getting my 220v at the new house finished and got my lighting system operational, so now all I need to do is get the element wires built and the manufacturing grease off my kettles and it will be ready for a trial run. I keep hoping it will happen before 2014. I will just cross my fingers that I will be happy and not get jealous of your computerized system and have to upgrade :).

I don't think you should be jealous of my computerized system. The only reason I went this far is so I can write it off on my taxes. Lol ( I'm a product developer/ marketing consultant for the embedded industry... Microchips/ boards) besides I can see this thing pissing me off. I already am getting sticky ball valves, they will open but I have to tap the ball to get them to close. So now I get to grease everything.

kickflip_mj said:
Sometimes simplicity is king, I know plenty of people making great beer by BIAB

Just can't bring myself to BIAB. It just seems somehow wrong to me. So I skip over all mention of it in threads. My level of simplicity will be manual valves.

Bensiff said:
Just can't bring myself to BIAB. It just seems somehow wrong to me. So I skip over all mention of it in threads. My level of simplicity will be manual valves.

Haha so true, I still can't understand why people spend so much coin on those speidel systems.

besides I can see this thing pissing me off. I already am getting sticky ball valves, they will open but I have to tap the ball to get them to close. So now I get to grease everything.

I had similar problems with my low priced 3-way ball valves out of the box.
I am using those valve with my keg washer.
What I found the gear box was designed (based on the looks) to work in the horizontal position only. During transportation the top gear moved up, prevented a return move.
Moved to the open position and with a hit came bag very slow.
I disassembled the gearbox and put the gears back in position and they are working fine. Unfortunately my keg washer is not 100% complete to do a good test.
Should the problem come back after multiple uses I will install a spacer.

A few pictures showing my high quality sh*** valves.
My 3-way valves are screw less and required surgery, the 2-way have screws.
At the same time I made a few changes to work better for me.
The second picture shows a small plate I installed for my position sensor.
Should the valve not return to its home position I will know.
I made the cables 6' long too after taking them apart a second time.

100_3426.jpg

100_3419.jpg

100_3438.jpg

kickflip_mj said:
the reason Its split is the original router comcast gave me was crap, so we added a better one. The only problem is my computer/ brewery will only connect to the comcast router. (first world problems)
/QUOTE]

Have you tried running a line (lan) to the area you want to cover then installing a wireless access point to the router? That way you could do a plug and play with Best Buy or whoever you got up there until you got the right one. Just bring it back and say it didnt work - they take it back you try another. That is how I gave wifi to my back yard and house while the router is in the garage/office. The only advice I would give you is to the the MAC filter and add each unit individually - keeps everyone out.

Thank you Claudius! This sounds like another pain in the ass, something I was not expecting, especially since all my plumbing is designed around the valves. So I guess I get to take apart all 10.lol What do you recommend me to do if the valve is in the vertical position??

kickflip_mj said:
/QUOTE]

Have you tried running a line (lan) to the area you want to cover then installing a wireless access point to the router? That way you could do a plug and play with Best Buy or whoever you got up there until you got the right one. Just bring it back and say it didnt work - they take it back you try another. That is how I gave wifi to my back yard and house while the router is in the garage/office. The only advice I would give you is to the the MAC filter and add each unit individually - keeps everyone out.

I actually have, the problem is the antennas are a little small for the distance, so I picked up a wifi module that could get the signal outside, without any hickups. Nothing worse then having your internet drop.

So I have been getting many inquiries about cost of this rig, and even I am blown away about how much it has costs me to build. I was thinking around 4-5k when its all said and done, but in reality after going through all my bank statements im around 9k. With that being said that includes supplies like new cut off wheels etc. No tools have been included in this cost:/ So for those of you who think going hard plumbed TC, this may not be a great option.lol

kickflip_mj said:
So I have been getting many inquiries about cost of this rig, and even I am blown away about how much it has costs me to build. I was thinking around 4-5k when its all said and done, but in reality after going through all my bank statements im around 9k. With that being said that includes supplies like new cut off wheels etc. No tools have been included in this cost:/ So for those of you who think going hard plumbed TC, this may not be a great option.lol

I answered once how much a Kal style panel with stout tanks cost and some didn't believe me. Like any hobby you are serious about, it isn't cheap.

Bensiff said:
I answered once how much a Kal style panel with stout tanks cost and some didn't believe me. Like any hobby you are serious about, it isn't cheap.

^ this. If you compare it to the cost of a bass boat, or a Harley, or a country club membership, it is really no more expensive than any other hobby.

^ this. If you compare it to the cost of a bass boat, or a Harley, or a country club membership, it is really no more expensive than any other hobby.

Except when you have a boat and a harley these stupid hobbies start REALLY adding up.... At least the brewery doesn't come with DMV fees!!!! lol

update,

My control panel is complete minus the working RPI, this thing is giving me nothing but issues. I am having the hardest time just connecting to the web. At the moment it is nothing more than a paperweight giving me a black screen after updating it to much.lol

With that being said, I need to reupload the Rasbian wheezy,

The last fabricating I need to do is just weld TC's to the herms coil and just wire the panel up to the stand. My biggest issue is just not wanting to mess with the RPI in my garage, its easier to sit on my table and do the work.

Thank you Claudius! This sounds like another pain in the ass, something I was not expecting, especially since all my plumbing is designed around the valves. So I guess I get to take apart all 10.lol What do you recommend me to do if the valve is in the vertical position??

Take the failing valve apart and look at the top gear. In my case the gear moved up and was no longer mashed with the bottom gears.
The designed in gap between the top plate and gear is too large.
If the gear moved away from the rest, reset the gear and place a low friction spacer between the gear housing top plate and gear.
Other option is reducing the standoffs length.
Currently I am running my valves three times a day (horizontal position) with no problem.
As soon one fails I will cut open the housing again and install a spacer or cut down the standoffs.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

Take the failing valve apart and look at the top gear. In my case the gear moved up and was no longer mashed with the bottom gears.
The designed in gap between the top plate and gear is too large.
If the gear moved away from the rest, reset the gear and place a low friction spacer between the gear housing top plate and gear.
Other option is reducing the standoffs length.
Currently I am running my valves three times a day (horizontal position) with no problem.
As soon one fails I will cut open the housing again and install a spacer or cut down the standoffs.

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

You are so damn helpful! Thank you so much for all your help over the years, I think many people can say the same.

Spent most of my day finishing my panel, mounted it and now all I have left is to wire it and test it. I'm having trouble getting Internet in my garage, but on my side yard if shouldn't be an issue. Hopefully ImageUploadedByHome Brew1388972530.637193.jpg

Thank you! Im starting to get really nervous that it will work properly. After spending a whole year building something can really be nerve wreaking.

Just mentally prepare for debugging. My first run on my new system certainly had its hiccups that I will need to work out before I get everything dialed in. I even had one of my auber probes leak, there was a pinhole opening where the weld was spun shut...still need to call them up and work that out with them.

Just mentally prepare for debugging. My first run on my new system certainly had its hiccups that I will need to work out before I get everything dialed in. I even had one of my auber probes leak, there was a pinhole opening where the weld was spun shut...still need to call them up and work that out with them.

I was going to also say that there is a 99.99% chance that it will not work straight out of the gate... nothing ever does. Hopefully the issues are minor though :D
Are you planning a water test first, running through the whole process to check for bugs before you pile on the stress of actually making a beer! Yes I want to see you stand around for an hour mashing water :D... but you get what I mean right, worst thing would be to have a valve route setup wrong and end up draining you MLT to floor instead of into the BK!

I was going to also say that there is a 99.99% chance that it will not work straight out of the gate... nothing ever does. Hopefully the issues are minor though :D
Are you planning a water test first, running through the whole process to check for bugs before you pile on the stress of actually making a beer! Yes I want to see you stand around for an hour mashing water :D... but you get what I mean right, worst thing would be to have a valve route setup wrong and end up draining you MLT to floor instead of into the BK!

I know im going to run into issues. the first issue I already have is some valves wont return to the close position, so i need to fix each one.... I think im more worried about my gas valves not working properly.

Just for you matt, I will be mashing water for hours!

I know im going to run into issues. the first issue I already have is some valves wont return to the close position, so i need to fix each one.... I think im more worried about my gas valves not working properly.

Just for you matt, I will be mashing water for hours!

Better make it a 90 minute mash just to make sure you get conversion :D

Back