My India Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newby

Reaction score
My initial specific gravity was 1.050 before the addition of yeast. 5 days later (today) I racked the brew and the specific gravity is 1.022. Can I expect the alcohol to increase over this secondary fermentation or am I just going to end up with a weak brew?

What was the anticipated FG from the recipe? Did you check the SG for several days to insure that primary was finished?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If your final gravity is 1.022, the abv is the least of the problems. IPAs should have a dry drinkability to them, typically. Was this an extract kit? Often they will end a little higher than a corresponding all-grain recipe, but that's still pretty high for an IPA. Next time, you might consider not racking off the yeast cake until you know that fermentation is complete.

For this, i would let it sit for a little bit and see if the gravity lowers. Will you be dry hopping it?

Back