My hydrometer broke...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamHain

Reaction score
I just started a brew and my hydrometer slipped out of my hands and busted. I'm in the middle of things and the 1st sign of a boil is just now starting. I can get to the LHBS later this afternoon.

Im just looking to find some advice here...

My plan is to continue the brew for now and just take a hydro reading in about 7.5 hours. Should I wait to pitch the yeast until I have the hydro? Or should I just pitch it and not worry?

Im thinking Ill just wait...it will give my starter more time too.

Im not sure how much fermenting will occur in the 6-7 hours until I have a hydro. My guess is quite a bit may, maybe not.

In 6-7 hours, there will be minimal if any fermentation. If I were you though, go ahead with your brew day as planned, put it in carboy, pitch yeast, clean, but save some wort that you didn't pitch yeast into, enough to get an accurate reading after you go to your LHBS. If you have a hydrometer stand, fill that up with what left in the pot. The proteins make it look wierd, but you will still get an accurate reading. Just my .02. :)

2 hydrometers = ~1 refractometer...I use a refractometer, they are great, aren't as fragile and use far less liquid for readings....also handy throughout the boil for hitting that post boil OG right on.

Back