My Hop Trellis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Genacide

Reaction score
I decided over the weekend to build a trellis with a raised bed. It's 31' wide and the bed is 4' deep. I have about $300 into it. I'm glad I went with the 4x6 posts, which are 20' with 3 1/2 feet in the ground. The 40" earth anchors were a bear to get in the last 2 feet with my heavy clay.

Quick question - How tight do I need to get the turnbuckles? They are currently hand tight, and the cable seems very taught.

full.JPG

outside.JPG

Inside.JPG

pieces.JPG

The straps between the eye-bolts, for grounding?

For what it's worth, my turnbuckles were hand tightened until the cables went reasonably taught (until movement was negligible in high wind). Mine is a first-year hopyard and I want to have as much adjustment as possible for once there are plants hanging from it rather than stretching the cables out immediately.

The 4x6s look sexy. Good luck!

I transplanted my hops from 5 gallon buckets into the bed a couple days ago and I was able to dump them out, move them around and drop them in with almost no soil falling off them. This was planted into the bucket 2 years ago and those roots grow fast and deep.

root bound.jpg

Back