My Home Brew Sucks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyclef

Reaction score
Hey, I've made three 5 gallon batches of home brew over the past year, two batches of pale ale and a hef and they all ended up tasting the same... gross. The carbonation is good, the color is OK although all three looked the same amberish color even though the hef should have looked different, but the taste has a mild yuck tang to it. I've tried, and tried again to make sure everything is SANITIZED using the iodine stuff. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I want to try another batch, wondering if anyone has any advice before I mess up another 5 gallons.

First of all, I would recommend that you post the recipe so we could take a look at it. Also, give us a rundown of your process. What are your fermentation temps like? Whatever you do, don't get too frustrated. There's a solution, we just have to find the problem. Where abouts are you anyway?

Welcome to HBT!

Now, in order for us to help you completely, you are going to have to provide us with a bit more information. Are these extract only recipes? Where are you buying them? Product freshness (particularly with extract) goes a long way into creating a tasty final product.

Describe your process as well- that may help us troubleshoot your perceived issue.

When you say a gross tang two thoughts come to mind: extract and fermentation temperature

First things first:

Are you using extract? I am assuming you are, but let's just make sure. If yes, are you using liquid or dry, or both? If using liquid, where do you get it from? Is there a chance the extract is old? Does your LHBS sell a lot of it?

As for fermentation temps:
Are you getting a steady temp? If so, what is it? If not, what is the range you are getting and how often is it fluctuating? Have you taken any steps to try and control your fermentation temperatures?

What you are tasting is most likely the dreaded 'extract twang'. This is the reason that many people move to partial mashing or all grain brewing. You can minimize twang by adding most of the extract very late in the boil, and using dry malt extract rather than the canned version. As the extract boils, it tends to caramelize, which is what gives you the twang.

I would try some stovetop PM kits with DME to see if you can eliminate the flavor. There are many opinions on the issue; some claim there is no such thing or that it is caused by old liquid malt extracts. My personal experience: all of my extract batches had the same issues you describe, and I haven't tasted that nasty twang since going all grain.

Amen! Don't give up. Trust me... when you drink your first quality product it will all be worth it.
I just guessing here but my bet would be that your fermentation temps were too high. Anyone brewing in middle of the summer without some type of temperature controlled environment would have a difficult time avoid such problems.
The coming change in season/temp should help! (Assuming the problem is temp).

I'm thinking maybe you have a temperature issue. I had 3 beers in the primary last summer when the AC quit working....15 gallons of hot esters that all taste either the same or very similar. And NO REVVY...It won't age out. ;)

I'm thinking maybe you have a temperature issue. I had 3 beers in the primary last summer when the AC quit working....15 gallons of hot esters that all taste either the same or very similar. And NO REVVY...It won't age out. ;)

I think we need to quit speculating based on the scant info he gave us, and wait til he gets back and writes up his process...

to me, "but the taste has a mild yuck tang to it." is pretty subjective...dontja think?

For all you know his use of "yuck tang" could also be green beer from not waiting long enough....

So since my psychic radar only works on tuesdays, I personally can't read his mind to see what his process is....so I'm gonna wait til he returns before I start speculating....

;)

Welcome to HBT! I hope respond back so we can help you get the flavor you want in your beer. I agree, it's probably the extract you're using but it can be fixed! You can make great tasting beer with extract.

Also the problem could be coming from the usually terrible instructions that come with kits. Using proper brewing procedures is key to a good brew no matter if it's extract or AG.

But this is another example of BK's excellant Idea from awhile back of having regional trouble shooters, who can actually taste a brewers beers and look at the process up close and help out with some hands and tongue on insight....

BK, I think we need to re-bump your thread....

'regional trouble shooters' - awesome idea

The beer police. :D

I made up a card even :D

beerinspectorcard_copy.jpg

Based on what you posted I can tell you EXACTLY what is wrong.

I just switched to AG and I could definately tell the difference with AG.

You see, the problem with extract is I have a cat who likes to pull the airlocks off the top of carboys. Also my wife will randomly throw things in the beer if she is pissed at me. I switched to AG, got rid of the cat, and got a divorce and my beer doesn't have that tangy twangy taste anymore.

Heres your solution:
1. Get rid of your cat
2. Get a divorce
3. Switch to all grain brewing

;)

Ok, so say we do determine it was the fluctuation or too high of a fermentation that gives the beer the "yuck tang" can it be fixed? Is all lost and it needs to be dumped? Or, like my mother told me after my first break-up, time heals all?

I'm curious because I ran into this tang awhile back with my IPA and it came down to me pitching my yeast at an ungodly high temp, 90F, which gave me this nasty tang. So, unfortunately I dumped it in the yard, but hey the grass is mighty green these days.

Back