My Guinness Draught Clone Recipe - Take 1

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McGreen

Reaction score
I am working on a clone for Guinness Draught. From what I hear, it is VERY tough. I am bottling, so it will probably be even harder. Here is Take 1. I dumbed it down a bit because I am gonna let my friends try it as well, making their taste adjustments. Let me know if anything is far off. Cheers!

The O’Leary Guinness Draught Clone Recipe
for 5 gallons using extract for homebrew – Take 1

What you will need (besides basic starter equipment):

6.6 lbs Unhopped Light Malt Extract
1 lb Flaked Barley
½ lb Roasted Barley
¼ lb Black Patent
¾ oz Northern Brewer Hops
1-2 tsp Gypsum (for acidulation and water chemistry; 2 oz acid malt can be subbed)
4-5 oz Corn Sugar (aka Priming Sugar, for bottling)
Irish Ale Yeast (White Labs preferably)
1-2 Grain Steeping Bags
50 Bottle Caps

Directions:

• MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS CLEANED AND SANITIZED!
• Take the labels off of the malt extract and place the cans (washed and unopened) directly in simmering warm water to soften the syrup.
• In a large pot, bring 2 gallons of water to a boil. Turn off heat and cool to 180 degrees.
• Add flaked barley, roasted barley, and black patent in steeping bags. Let steep for 30 minutes, dunking every 5 minutes. Bring to a boil again.
• Remove from heat. Let cool to 180 degrees. Add malt extract, hops, and gypsum (or acid malt). Stir. Bring to a boil and boil for 45 minutes. Remove from heat to cool.
• Put 2 gallons of water in the fermenting vessel. Using a strainer, add the hot mixture slowly. Fill with additional cool water up to 5 gallons.
• When cooled to 65-70 degrees, take hydrometer reading. Stir to aerate and let settle.
• Pitch (sprinkle) yeast over the top. Wait 10-15 minutes and stir gently, 2 or 3 strokes.
• Place lid and airlock on vessel, filling the airlock half with water. This is now the wort.
• Store in a dark, cool place between 65-75 degrees for best fermentation. After 24 hours there should be air bubbles in the airlock. After it stops, let wort settle for a week. A hydrometer sample can be taken now to see the process. Make sure ALL EQUIPMENT IS CLEAN AND SANITIZED! Continue to ferment.
• After about 3-4 weeks, the beer can be transferred to a secondary vessel or straight to bottle so it can age and condition. It should condition 7-10 days in a cool, dark place, and then can be transferred to a refrigerator for another 3-6 weeks.
• Enjoy!

Flaked barley must be mashed with base grain as far as I know and you don't need to acidify your water if you are not doing a mash.

Agreed. You'll need the mash enzymes to convert the flaked barley.

A Guinness clone is a good place start though I'd say, rather than being a tough one. The dark colour covers up accidental haziness, and the roast flavour helps hide any off flavours.

I've done a few extract brews with flake and crystal barley and never had to mash them. Is it totally necessary? Because I don't own the equipment. I have to travel to mash and I just did it for the patent and roasted. Is there an easier way to mash at home? Thanks!

Also, I had to pick up DME because my guy doesn't carry unhooked LME. Is there such a thing in the liquid form?

Needless to say, some of the recipe changed slightly, but it is relatively the same. Thanks so much guys!

One more quick question: if I did opt to get the hopped LME, would it drastically change the recipe and taste?

Back