My gravity came in very high - add water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinpanharry

Reaction score
So I brewed a Mild 2 days ago. It should have come in near 1036 or so but came in at 1070. Its in the primary now and krausen has settled. Can I just add distilled (boiled and cooled) water to reduce the OG? Or should I brew a 1020 beer and then blend the two?

Thanks
TPH

Please explain the process you used to get double the amount of sugars from your grains that you should have. I'd like to be able to make my beers using only half as much grain.

On a second thought, how well do you like your beers watered down? I prefer mine to have flavor and alcohol.

I think I used the wrong equipment profile in Beersmith, using an extract equipment profile instead of mini-BIAB.

I like flavor too, funny guy, but I don't like fusel alcohols or my Milds tasting like Imperial stouts.

Any serious thoughts out there? Has anyone ever encountered this?

Thanks in advance,
Tinpan

Please explain the process you used to get double the amount of sugars from your grains that you should have. I'd like to be able to make my beers using only half as much grain.

On a second thought, how well do you like your beers watered down? I prefer mine to have flavor and alcohol.

I have blended beers together because:

• One had no taste and the other had to much Black Patent Malt
  • One was to hoppy and I had a half keg of something that had bee around for a while (served the next day)
  • Had a “harsh” Porter and left over HefeWeisnes when kegging (Instant Dunkelwiesen)

Never could I or anyone else toell it was blended.

WATER:

Well I would boil and cool some and test in a glass and see if it works or maybe try something like Poland Springs Carbonated Water.

BUT: Don’t do the whole Batch until you get a recipe.

Me? I would let it age for a while before you test this since your ABV is so high,,,

It might still be “young” and you might find you have made a great “SOMETHING”….

Let me know wa-cha did...

So, you invented an Imperial Mild?

+1 to testing a pint with some water before proceeding. You won't just cut the ABV in half, but also your IBUs. It may taste fine, but Milds are pretty delicately balanced and that might be lost.

Personally, I'd wait it out and see how the final product tastes. You don't lose anything by waiting. If you don't like it, you can brew an extra mild, Mild and blend.

I once had something similar happen when I was a new brewer. I took hydrometer readings that weren't adjusted to temp 68F (much hotter) and my gravity readings were way off. Don't panic. Don't worry about abv or blending beers if you don't need to. Relax. Give it time and see what you've created.

Back