My grain bag is crazy moldy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urg8rb8

Reaction score
I brewered but but too lazy to thoroughly wash it and now the entire thing is covered in mold. Do I need to throw it out? Or do I just wash it in bleach and I'm good to go?

I'd probably take it out back and spray it hardcore with some bleach solution to get most of the mold out of there, then rinse, do a bleach soak, and if it's still looking a bit gross do another soak in fresh bleach. Finally a run in the washer or a solid hand washing (with several water changes) to finish the deal and get the bleach out. That's if the bag is worth that much effort or you need it before you can get a replacement. If it's just a paint strainer bag or something like that, choose whichever neighbor you like least, toss it in their garbage can and get a new one. :D

Oxy clean. Don't bleach it.

Oxy's great for cleaning dirty things, but would it kill the mold? Sodium percarbonate (one of the main ingredients of Oxyclean) splits up to create sodium carbonate (which is also already present in Oxyclean) and hydrogen peroxide, so the peroxide might kill the mold, but if the bag is so nasty it looks like a wig I'd be much more comfortable with a strong bleach solution than however much H2O2 the percarb in oxyclean creates.

Is this just a Nylon bag? if so I would do 1 of 2 things. Either do a HOT PBW cleaning followed by a good soak in a bleach solution, rinse and dry then repeat! Or toss it out, get another and never do that again...

Cheers
Jay

Get some water to boiling temp and turn off the fire, add some PBW/Oxyclean, and soak the bag in the hot solution.

185 degree water will kill most mold, no reason to use bleach and potentially have after tastes.

185 degree water for 20 minutes with Oxy clean is what I'd do.

PBW pretty much eats anything organic, so I think it would do the job. Follow that with a soak in Star San and I'd say you're good.

I'd probably just get a new bag though. :D

Just buy shear window curtains off Amazon for 5 dollars and make your own? 84" x 48" and you get 2 of those. :rockin:

Only saying cause I've got to make a new hop bag since I let mine get moldy too :(

Sooo... I ended up hosing the bag down to remove the hairy parts. then I put it in the washing machine with Clorox. When it was done, I ran it through the washing machine again with oxyclean.

However, some of you guys bring up a good point. I need to make a larger grain bag. I read people going to Walmart to make bags. What curtains do I need to get? I'd like it to be nylon. Can it be polyester? Anything specific?

Sooo... I ended up hosing the bag down to remove the hairy parts. then I put it in the washing machine with Clorox. When it was done, I ran it through the washing machine again with oxyclean.

However, some of you guys bring up a good point. I need to make a larger grain bag. I read people going to Walmart to make bags. What curtains do I need to get? I'd like it to be nylon. Can it be polyester? Anything specific?
Get polyester voile curtains.

Brew on :mug:

A friend of mine forgot to dry out his BIAB bag after his last brew and last weekend when he went to use it he discovered that it was all moldy too. He boiled his BIAB bag in a Bleach solution then rinsed it out REALLY well, and you almost couldn't tell it had happened... Just rinse it out really really really really well and you'll be fine...

:ban:

Usually bleach just gives you clear mold and doesn't actually get rid of it, the spores are pretty darn hardy. I'm all for PBW and forgo the bleach altogether.

:D Probably not the best option...but it's still an option.....

kill-it-with-fire.jpg

Throw it away and get yourself a good Wilserbrewer bag. You wont be disappointed.

Wash in washing machine without detergent, but do use oxy-clean. Can use sanitary cycle if that helps.

Star-san soak when done.

Hang dry.

It is just nylon - not cotton.

If you have a pressure cooker you could place it in there and boil it now and that should surely kill anything else.

Back