My Founders Breakfast Stout Clone(ish), Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd3

Reaction score
I brewed one of the "kits" from Brewmaster's warehouse this week. The FBS extract clone, but with some additions. This is my first time posting a recipe...

Extract, 30 min steep at 156, 60 minute boil.
5 gallons

Briess Golden Light Liquid Extract 6 lbs, 0 oz
Briess Golden Light Dry Extract 3 lbs, 0 oz
Briess Flaked Oats 1 lbs, 0 oz
Crisp Chocolate Malt 1 lbs, 0 oz
Crisp Roasted Barley 0 lbs, 12 oz
Briess 2 Row Caramel 120 0 lbs, 8 oz
De-Bittered Black 0 lbs, 8 oz
Nugget Pellets .5 oz @ 60 mins
Williamette Pellets .5 oz @ 30 mins
Williamette Pellets .5 oz @ 0 mins
Wyeast Labs Beer Yeast Nutrient 1 ea
Whirlfloc Tablets 1 ea

2 oz Kona Course Ground at flameout
1 Oz Espresso Beans at flame out
3 oz Cocoa Powder at flame out(slurry)
4 grams Caffeine Powder. This will give roughly 80 mg/12 oz bottle. (a 12 oz Mt Dew has 54 mg, a redbull around 80. WITH the coffee, I expect right around 100 mg/12 oz).

Wyeast Labs American Ale

OG was 1.080 Expect a FG of 1.022, I think? Predicted ABV of 7.7%.

This is my first time using these hops, much less aroma than I am use to. The caffeine powder is VERY bitter. Like a tablet of aspirin. I don't think you will notice it in the 5 gallons of beer, though.

At 8 hours was fermenting like crazy.

Fermentation is still going nuts. Has anyone else tried any caffeinated beers(other than Sparks or Four Loko....)

SO no one has done any caffeinated brews, eh?

So I transferred this to secondary last week and well... It is VERY coffee flavored. It seems I either ground to fine or messed up measuring. It is all coffee....

Is there anything I can do to subdue this? I racked off the coffee, and am considering oak, dry hopping, or even cocoa or something along those lines..... I'm not sure what to do.

it is drinkable, and is certainly a 1 beer and move on drink. Just want to see if it can be thinned out a bit.

Can't comment on adding caffeine powder.

I've made the BYO clone of Breakfast Stout before. I can say that the coffee flavor was really strong initially but then tapered off over time. I think it peaked right around 4 or 5 months with the perfect balance of coffee and chocolate. However, it was still really good initially, the coffee wasn't overbearing just more forward.

I'd recommend just forgetting about it for a few months. It should be great just in time for the cooler stout weather.

The caffeine powder seems to have no taste impact at this size. Pure it was bitter as ****. Not that I've actually tasted ****.

I'll let it age in secondary for a few months and reassess.

Whats funny is up until this year I basically drank stouts and other darker beers year round. I started getting into homebrewing and did a saison and now I can't stomach a heavy beer in the summer....

Back