My Flat Tire Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thejbj13

Reaction score
Check it out tell me what you think, 5 Gallon, Boil Size 2.5, OG: 1.050 FG: 1.012

6lbs LME-Light

8oz Belgian Special B
8oz Munich Light 10L
8oz Carmel/Crystal 120L

1oz Northern Brewer
1oz Saaz

Wyeast Belgian Ale 1214

Looks pretty good. Question though, don't you detect a nutty flavor coming out of fresh fat tire? I used 8 oz of Victory malt in mine, and I think another 2-4 oz would be good for that. Your crystal malts look pretty good. Maybe a tad heavy on the Special B as the 120L may be similar.

Below is what New Belgium says about FT:

ABV5.2% IBU22
YeastHouse Ale Yeast
Calories160
Hops: Willamette, Goldings, Target
Malts: Pale, C-80, Munich, Victory

Are you suggesting that I take the Special B down to maybe 6oz or so? My IBU is 20 and the ABV is 5%

Sure you could drop to 6 oz. Or even 4 oz. Might keep the toffee/burnt raisin flavors down a tad.

Main thing I was trying to say is that FT definitely has a nut flavor that I don't think you will get using Munich and Crystal malts alone. Northern Brewer's clone kit also uses 8 oz of Victory for that.

Go to defalcos.com and look at their recipes. They've got a very good Fat Tire clone.

This was in BYO a few years ago. Let me see what I can find. Love the magazine, highly recommended.

(searches)

Here we go, Dec 2010. Figures it would be the very last one on the bottom of the ****ing pile, huh?

5 gal, extract w/ grains.
1.75 lbs Coopers Light DME
4 lbs Alexanders Pale Liquid Extract
2 oz Pale Malt
1 lb Munich Malt
6 oz Briess Victory Malt
8 oz Crystal 80L

.4 oz Target 11a 60 mins
.5 oz Willamette 5a 10 mins
.5 oz Goldings at knockout

WYeast 1792 or WLP051

Steep at 155F, ferment at 68F.

OG: 1.051
FG: 1.013
ABV: 4.8%
IBU: 19
SRM: 15

(Note: All grain version is simply using Pale Ale malt for the base with the same amounts of Munich, Victory, and Crystal. Recommend switching to Maris Otter liquid extract at appropriate level to hit 1.051.)

Back