My first

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

sprice37

Reaction score
First All grain batch last night. I trusted beersmith and ended up with 4 gallons of pre boil wort. It told me 20.31 qt for mash on and 8.13 at mash out. I learned something. If I want it done right I should probbly check calculations long hand rather then trust the computer programs all the time. Anyways I added more water to sparge a second time and got my volume up to the 6 gallons + approx I wanted pre boil. I still ended up with only a 4.5 gallon post boil batch which is bubbling quite nice this morning. I have a problem of efficiencies. 1.068 pre boil and 1.084 post boil 4.5 post boil volume and approx 6.25 pre boil with a 16.25lb grain bill. My math said 70% the calculators said 75-77%. Which is it?

earwig

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Beersmith won't let you down if you have everything set up and plugged in correctly. This takes a bit of time, patience and research. What sparge method did you use? I am assuming fly sparging since you said you mashed out? In the future I would recommend using 1.25-1.3 quarts of water for each pound of grain and then adjust your sparge amount so that you end up with the proper pre-boil volume you want accounting for grain absorption etc.