My first try at brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Things went pretty well. Had a little burn at the bottom of the pot but not much at all. Was able to chill the wort in about 20 mins. Had the yeast added and the top on, and then i realized, i didnt take a reading of the OG. oh well.

this morning i checked on the fermentation and the airlock is bubbling away. I was excited.

I get home from work, and find that the lid got busted loose and there was wort in the airlock. Had to clean that out. Resanatize. got it sealed back up. hopefully the beer wasnt affected too much. Guess i'll try the blow off tube next time.

That is good. Sign of a vigorous fermentation. That burn at the bottle is not a huge deal, you might get a little off flavor but you probably wont notice it. Probably from adding the extract all in the beginning.

Did you taste it? I like to taste at each phase of the beer.

Welcome to the cult!

well looks like you made two learning curves there. Don't forget to take a reading and use a blow off just incase.
But,hell,of the 20 batches that I have brewed,I reckon I forgot to take a reading at least 4 times.
Congrats mate, you are now a brewer:rockin:

I didnt taste it but it smells badass! i figured i burned some of the extract, but its such a small amount, i didnt worry about it. I feel good about my sanitation. Use to work in a restaurant and we had to sanitize everything and i'm picky about that stuff anyways.

The name of the recipe is Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier. A German Wheat beer.

The homebrew store recommended it cause its an easy recipe and cause i like wheat beers.

The Weihenstaphen is one of my favorite hefes. Absolutely awesome. .. Would be very interested in the recipe if you still have it. If it's anything like the real thing, you got a great suggestion from your LHBS

Hefe's are good. My first home brewed beer was a German Wheat from Mr.beer.

i just brewed my first batch this weekend and had some of the same results :)

- burned a little of the bottom of the kettle (due to the muslin bag w/ grains)
- cooled the wort probably within 20-30mins in an icebath in the sink
- aerated the wort into my fermenting bucket but then siphoned it into the plastic carboy so i could see the fermentation process - during this process i totally forgot to get an OG reading too! haha
- the krausen went into the airlock this morning during the 2nd day of fermentation. i rigged up a blow-off system and the beer is looking and smelling amazing!

good luck with yours! my next batch is going to be a Hefe. Hefe is my fav type of beer :)

The Weihenstaphen is one of my favorite hefes. Absolutely awesome. .. Would be very interested in the recipe if you still have it. If it's anything like the real thing, you got a great suggestion from your LHBS

I'll try to take a scan of it tomorrow and send it to ya.

i just brewed my first batch this weekend and had some of the same results :)

- burned a little of the bottom of the kettle (due to the muslin bag w/ grains)

Tie the grain bag to one of the handles so that the bag doesn't touch the bottom of the pot. I use a small binder clip to hold mine.

Tie the grain bag to one of the handles so that the bag doesn't touch the bottom of the pot. I use a small binder clip to hold mine.

yea i tied it to the handle but it was touching the bottom, i was moving it around a lot though, mixing it well. i didn't realize i burned the bottom of the pot til i started adding hops, then i realized the rough surface. i don't think it affected the beer though

You could try using a steaming pan inside the pot to help keep the bag off the bottom.

I'd take your brew kettle off your heat source before adding your extract to avoid burning it. Also continuously stirring as your adding it helps as well. Just a suggestion, good luck and congrats on your first brew.

Back