my first tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishrover32

Reaction score
im gonna get ready to do my first tripel its only my third batch of beer im brewing. its gonna be a 1.58 gallon batch, im looking for some input on how much yeast to use and what mash temperature to use and also advice on a mash out, this is a BIAB brew by the way

pilsner 80%
clear candi sugar 14%
wheat 5%

20g of sazz hops for 90 minute boil

im gonna do a 90 minute mash and boil

gravity after boil: 1.083
final gravity: 1.012
ABV%: 9.3
IBU: 25

so how does she look on paper?

Mr. malty for pitch rate. Mash around 150. Since you're doing BIAB, a mashout=heating the wort as soon as you take out the grain and, if applicable, dunk sparging in 180 F water.

Yes, I would mash low as well. You want to keep this wort very fermentable for that 'tripel'-like dry finish.

A lot of your flavor will come from the yeast, so managing the yeast is important. Yeast count on the pitch can influence the flavor, and some would argue for under-pitching, and others for over-pitching. I'm more of the middle of the road kind of brewer on this, so I would make sure you have enough yeast cells for your OG according to Mr.Malty.

If you have fermentation temp control, then start them low (63-64F) for the initial few days and then let them raise naturally to 70-F over the following week.

Just a few suggestions... YMMV..
-LexusChris

Back