My First Threesome on BrewDay!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmickey

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just wanted to share the results of my brew day yesterday! A buddy and I both had the day off yesterday and decided to go for the trifecto. We brewed 2 all grain brews and an extract kit. We are basically trying to get a leg up on the brews because he got some new kegs and a few of mine are close to empty as well.

:mug:

Night before brew day:
Random prep for Brew day including a yeast starter. This was the first time to use my DIY stir plate and it worked flawlessly. I also kegged a Blueberry American Wheat to free up my Better Bottle for Wednesday afternoon! Bedtime, 2am!

Brew Day:
I woke up at 6:15am without the alarm, amazing how it's easier to wake up when its something you want to do!!! I started prepping all the equipment and had the water on when my buddy Pete showed up at 8am .We started around 8am and finished cleaning up about 7:30pm! To say it was a long brew day was an understatement! The most we had done previously was 2 All Grain brews in one day but really this wasn't too much more work. With a well calculated schedule and no room for errors we set off at 8am. We got the Extract kit which was an Amarillo Pale Ale (Loved this kit from a previous brew day a few years back) and a 60 minute boil going first. With 30 minutes to go we had the 1st of two All Grain recipes mashing which was Bert Grant's Perfect Porter recipe. By the time it was time to do the mash out we had the extract kit cooled down, yeast pitch and in the closet resting comfortably at 70 degrees. From there on out it was a routine sorta with the boiling of the 1st All Grain Porter and the mashing of the 2nd All Grain which was a Belgian Pale Ale. We got the 2nd beer racked into the primary, yeast pitched and transferred to the closet and we hit the home stretch! Shortly after we had the 3rd batch ready to brew and boiling away. It was a great coordinated effort and set of plans and once again we pushed ourselves to think and be efficient and have a few homebrews along the way!

The All-Grain brewing for me is starting to come together. I have a great partner to brew with and between him and I we are making some really good beers and having a good time doing it! I'm also getting used to the equipment, BeerSmith and pushing the envelope a little.

Three 5.25 gallon batches in one day about all I can handle, especially in the summer heat! Which reminds me of how much I love brewing on cooler days.

Here is the pic my first threesome in the closet! :rockin:

7_21_11.jpg

My DIY Stirplate:
7_21_11stirplate.jpg

Equipment Setup:
7_21_11equip.jpg

Holy huge blow off tubes batman!

Super cool feat... three brews in a day. I don't even think I could stay sober enough to brew three extract brews in a day. lol Although last two brew days I just had gatorade, so maybe it is possible? lol

Nice work.

pointerDixie214 said:
Holy huge blow off tubes batman!

Super cool feat... three brews in a day. I don't even think I could stay sober enough to brew three extract brews in a day. lol Although last two brew days I just had gatorade, so maybe it is possible? lol

Nice work.

Thanks! Those are just regular sized blow off tubes that fit in glass carboys. We modified the carboy bung for a super tight fit since better bottles have a bigger opening.

It is a long brew day, three extract brews are definitely doable!

Back