My first starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
So, I just made my first starter for my beer I am doing on saturday (grapefruit sculpin clone) Mrmalty said I would need a 3L starter (only 5 gallon batch...)... My WLP001 pure pitch was manf. on February 7th 2016. The OG on the brew is only supposed to be 1.064. Just looking for some reassurance that I will be fine :p I just boiled 2L with 1 1/2 cups of DME and added it to a growler with my yeast. It seems like everyone has a different technique for starters so I really wasn't sure what to do. I have used dry yeast the past few years and want to step my game up.

EDIT: Just noticed I posted this in wrong spot. Oops.

This will work fine. I like to pitch my starters at high krauesen, others like to let them finish and cold crash them so they are pitching only the slurry. Both methods will work fine.

Mr malty tends to overshoot actual needed cell count and starter size. Yeast calculator and Brewers Friend have better options, I use K.Troesters pitch rate and have never had a beer that did not finish within expected final gravity since. With 2L you will have more than enough yeast maybe too much considering how viable the pack was.

I would cold crash that starter.. With at least a liter and a half of spent wort going down the drain instead of in your freshly brewed wort.

Hey guys, just checked on it this morning and it definitely overflowed a bit over night. I pitched at about 8 hours ago and I am not brewing until tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully I didn't lose much yeast!

Mr malty tends to overshoot actual needed cell count and starter size. Yeast calculator and Brewers Friend have better options, I use K.Troesters pitch rate and have never had a beer that did not finish within expected final gravity since. With 2L you will have more than enough yeast maybe too much considering how viable the pack was.

That's an understatement. Mr. Malty is a horrible pessimist and thinks that if you take the yeast out of the refrigerator for an hour at least half of the yeast cells die. With a 5 gallon batch at 1.064 gravity the single "Pure Pitch" packet would have been sufficient to ferment the batch out. A 3L starter is way more than needed. http://sciencebrewer.com/2012/03/02/pitching-rate-experiment-part-deux-results/

Were you using a stir plate? If so, you only needed a 1 liter starter, intermittent shaking a 1.44 liter, doing nothing except letting it sit there a 2.5 liter starter would have been needed, but since you already made it go with it. I would definitely cold crash it to gid rid of some of the wort.

Back