My first starter for 1.094 OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicis

Reaction score
Just received a stir starter w/ 2000ml flask. I will brew two kits (10 gal) Stone Bitter Oatmeal Stout in my 15 gal pot. OG is 1.094

I have two WL English Ale 002 vials of yeast. Do I make a 2000ml starter with both vials or with one?

Your going to need around 640 billion yeast cells if you want a healthy ferment.

You will want to add both vials to your starter, but I doubt you could ferment 2000ml of starter wort with both vials added in a 2000ml flask, even with fermcap.

You might want to consider making a 1500ml starter, adding both vials and some fermcap, letting it ferment for 24 hrs at room temp, and then chilling it in the fridge for another 24 hrs to allow the yeast to drop out of solution, then decanting and adding another 1500ml of wort, allowing it to ferment again at room temp for 24 hrs., chill, decant again, and pitch. Takes a lot more time, but you will be close to your target cell count when it's all said and done.

I went the rout of buying a 5000 ml flask and pitching in 3 WL yeast in 3000 ml of starter wurt. The flask has a ton of sediment on the bottom just sitting there. The stir plate is stiring but not enough to move much or little yeast on the bottom.

The question is should it be stirring enough so the yeast has no chance of resting on the bottom?

I went the rout of buying a 5000 ml flask and pitching in 3 WL yeast in 3000 ml of starter wurt. The flask has a ton of sediment on the bottom just sitting there. The stir plate is stiring but not enough to move much or little yeast on the bottom.

The question is should it be stirring enough so the yeast has no chance of resting on the bottom?

It should be stiring enough to keep all the yeast in suspension. There should be a small vortex (dimple) on the top of the wort.

Back