My First Sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bang34

Reaction score
Since my brother is off for the summer (he is a teacher). We have been brewing pretty frequently, 4 batches in the past month. May not seem like much you hard core home brewers but it has been fun to dive back into it after a hiatus while my brother was educating America's future.

We got ambitious and decided to start our first sour. The base beer is a take off of a brown from the LHBS omitting the aroma hops, upping the extract and along with the primary yeast, WLP001, we pitched the dregs from two bottles of Russian River's Supplication.

We went with the CA Ale yeast because it works well in our current temps in LA and went with dregs from supplication after reading the Mad Fermentationist's blog, and a few emails back and forth with him. The fact that my bro was up in NorCal last week and had a chance to get some fresh at the brewpub cemented the decision to use dregs rather than pitch a full sour yeast mix. (Drinking the Supplications while we brewed was an added bonus.)

Fermentables:

9 lbs. Pale LME

Steeping Grains:

4 oz. British Chocolate Malt
8 oz. Caramel 80 Malt
4 oz. Special Roast

Hops:

.75 oz Nugget 14.3% (60 min)

We plan to add some oak cubes in a couple months, maybe some plums from the farmer's market. Looking forward to how it turns out(in about a year).

Back