My first sour beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starderup

Reaction score
I bottled an American Ale on the 16th of this month, and checked a bottle or two the other day visually. By now, it has usually cleared up, but they were still cloudy. Looked at several other random bottles, and they are all the same.
Chilled one and opened it up. It seems to have somehow gotten some wild yeast in there. I don't understand it, because the bottling went the same as always.
it isn't undrinkable, but it has this acidic, sort of sour flavor. Maybe lacto? Anyone ever had that happen?

I had the same issue on my most recent pale ale. Gave it another 2 weeks in the bottle and the flavor was gone... Not sure what it was, but I was glad to see it go!

I had the same issue on my most recent pale ale. Gave it another 2 weeks in the bottle and the flavor was gone... Not sure what it was, but I was glad to see it go!
That's encouraging. The flavor is noticable, but not too strong. I hope I have similar results.

If it's acetaldehyde, it'll go away (green apple tartness). If it truly is a acetobacter or lactobacillus infection (or a host of other bacterias/yeasts), it'll like only get more tart, and possibly create bottle bombs. Can you see any sort of film on top of the liquid in bottle?

If it's acetaldehyde, it'll go away (green apple tartness). If it truly is a acetobacter or lactobacillus infection (or a host of other bacterias/yeasts), it'll like only get more tart, and possibly create bottle bombs. Can you see any sort of film on top of the liquid in bottle?

I will look tonight. The other thing about it is the beer looks like a wheat - very cloudy, and it isn't chill haze.

I made a simple wheat beer from extract this year and it was a little sourish near the beginning, but it went away or melded with the beer and it tastes fine now. It used to be strong enough to be noticeable but not strong enough to make me want to dump it. Either that or it was one or two bad bottles, but it was probably just young. I wouldn't worry about cloudy.

I made a simple wheat beer from extract this year and it was a little sourish near the beginning, but it went away or melded with the beer and it tastes fine now. It used to be strong enough to be noticeable but not strong enough to make me want to dump it. Either that or it was one or two bad bottles, but it was probably just young. I wouldn't worry about cloudy.

I can deal with cloudy. I had three of them last night, and either it was perception or they are getting better. Not really bad, but when you are expecting one thing and you taste another, it can put you off.
There is nothing on the surface to indicate any infection, and the sediment on the bottom looks like any other. It actually pours pretty clean. You can usually see a change if any sediment gets poured, and I can tip the bottle all the way and nothing different comes out.
Anyway, I'll just tighten up the sanitation regimen and press on.

Back