My first shot at cider.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landlockt

Reaction score
I started my first attempt at cider yesterday.

1) 2.5 gals of unpasteurized real cider from a local orchard
2) Added 2 lbs of white granulated cane sugar
3) Added 1 tsp. of Lavlin EC-1118 to two cups of the sugared cider mixture until dissolved and then dumped it into a 6 gallon fermenting bucket with the rest of the cider/sugar mixture and slapped on an airlock

I have a couple of questions:

I have a room in our house that stays between 55-60 and another room that I can keep between 60-65.

I would rather do the cooler room. My understanding is that the cooler temps will work as long as it doesn't drop below 50, but that fermentation will take longer.

Any comments are welcome. Thanks

p.s. The SG was about 1.043 and bumped up to about 1.091 after I added the sugar

From Jack Keller's site:

Lalvin EC-1118 (Prise de Mousse) : This is the original, steady, low foamer, excellent for barrel fermentation or for working on heavy suspended pulps. It is one of the most popular wine yeasts in the world. It ferments well at low temperatures, flocculates well, and produces very compact lees. It is good for Champagne bases, secondary (bottle) fermentations, restarting stuck fermentations, and for late harvest grapes. It is also the yeast of choice for apple, crabapple, cranberry, hawthorn, and cherry wines. It has excellent organoleptic properties and should be in every vinter's refrigerator. Alcohol toxicity is 18% and it ferments relatively fast. It tolerates temperatures from 39-95° F. It is not, however, tolerant of concurrent malolactic fermentation.

Hope that helps. Regards, GF.

Wow, Lalvin EC-1118 has a range of 39-95° F.
I usually ferment it at 65F, maybe I'll drop it down to 55F next time.

From Jack Keller's site:

Lalvin EC-1118 (Prise de Mousse) : This is the original, steady, low foamer, excellent for barrel fermentation or for working on heavy suspended pulps. It is one of the most popular wine yeasts in the world. It ferments well at low temperatures, flocculates well, and produces very compact lees. It is good for Champagne bases, secondary (bottle) fermentations, restarting stuck fermentations, and for late harvest grapes. It is also the yeast of choice for apple, crabapple, cranberry, hawthorn, and cherry wines. It has excellent organoleptic properties and should be in every vinter's refrigerator. Alcohol toxicity is 18% and it ferments relatively fast. It tolerates temperatures from 39-95° F. It is not, however, tolerant of concurrent malolactic fermentation.

Hope that helps. Regards, GF.

According to Lalvin's website it's more like 50-86.

EC-1118
Saccharomyces bayanus

Origin
The EC-1118 strain was isolated, studied and selected from Champagne fermentations. Due to its competitive factor and ability to ferment equally well over a wide temperature range, the EC-1118 is one of the most widely used yeasts in the world.

Oenological properties and applications
The fermentation characteristics of the EC-1118 — extremely low production of foam, volatile acid and hydrogen sulfide (H2S) — make this strain an excellent choice. This strain ferments well over a very wide temperature range, from 10° to 30°C (50° to 86°F) and demonstrates high osmotic and alcohol tolerance. Good flocculation with compact lees and a relatively neutral flavor and aroma contribution are also properties of the EC-1118.

The EC-1118 strain is recommended for all types of wines, including sparkling, and late harvest wines and cider. It may also be used to restart stuck fermentations.

An excellent choice for champagnes and late harvest wines. Also a very good choice for dry whites.

However, I am more interested in what effect a cooler (50-65 temp) will have on the brew.

Go by Lalvin's info, they should know their own product. Sorry about passing on erroneous info, guess Keller needs to update his site. Good catch on the temps. Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back