My first shot at a Mini-mash Pumpkin ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h1tman

Reaction score
First off, I'm new around here and have learned allot from lurking around. I've done a couple simple extract kits but want try something original.

Now for the beer. I love pumpkin beers but usually they are either don't have enough spice or are too light w/ no malt taste. I'm looking for a sweet malt taste w/ allot of spice and just enough bitterness for balance. I've got no idea what the OG or FG will be any pointers on this will be appreciated. So here is my first shot at a recipe.
Any comments appreciated.

Type: Mini-Mash
Batch Size: 5gal

30oz Canned Pumpkin

Grains:
2.5 Lbs Rahr 2-row
1 Lbs Honey Malt
.5 lbs Munich

Extract:
4 Lbs Ultralight LME

Hops:
1oz Mt. Hood 60min 4%AA

Spices:
2 tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice - 15min

Yeast:
Saflager W-34

That's the basic Recipe. I plan the roast the pumpkin and add it to the boil. I'll try to strain the wort to minimize the trub in the primary.

I've heard the honey malt is very potent stuff, so I'd probably cut it back a bit to 1/3 or 1/2 lbs. Other than that the recipe looks reasonable, and should come out very tasty! I'd mash fairly high to keep the sweetness there, maybe 156*F. You may also consider using some lactose at bottling if it isn't sweet enough for you. A few buddies of mine made some pumpkin a whiles back; it tasted like jet fuel for a while but it got a lot smoother with some aging.

Hope that helps!

RadicalEd said:
I've heard the honey malt is very potent stuff, so I'd probably cut it back a bit to 1/3 or 1/2 lbs. Other than that the recipe looks reasonable, and should come out very tasty! I'd mash fairly high to keep the sweetness there, maybe 156*F. You may also consider using some lactose at bottling if it isn't sweet enough for you. A few buddies of mine made some pumpkin a whiles back; it tasted like jet fuel for a while but it got a lot smoother with some aging.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the info. Like I said, I'm pretty new to this stuff so any advice would help.

So the higher I mash the more sugars I'll extract from the grain? Huh. Learn something new everyday.

Later
Seth

First off welcome to HBT Seth! :mug:
How about adding some crystal malt to this to give it some maltiness and a touch of sweetness? Maybe 1/2 pound of 40ºL?

RichBrewer said:
First off welcome to HBT Seth! :mug:
How about adding some crystal malt to this to give it some maltiness and a touch of sweetness? Maybe 1/2 pound of 40ºL?

That's what I was trying to do with the Honey but if crystal malt would be better I'll got that way.

Have you ever used Honey Malt? It sounded interesting...

Thanks
Seth

Updated Recipie:

Type: Mini-Mash
Batch Size: 5gal

30oz Canned Pumpkin

Grains:
2.5 Lbs Rahr 2-row
.5 Lbs Honey Malt
.5 Crystal 40L
.5 lbs Munich

Extract:
4 Lbs Ultralight LME

Hops:
1oz Mt. Hood 60min 4%AA

Spices:
2 tbsp Pumpkin Pie Spice - 15min

Yeast:
Saflager W-34

One question now. Should I add some more hops for balance? I'm thinking another .5 oz might be in order.

Thanks
Seth

Just as a point of clarification, the warmer you mash the more unfermentable sugars will be left in your beer. The closer to 148* the less fermentable sugars are left. So if you mash at 150*f you will have a very dry beer, as the yeast will ferment most of the sugars out, but if you mash at 156*f the yeast cant eat everything, so you'll have a sweeter beer.

Back