My first recipe-brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy_B

Reaction score
Any criticism for this recipe? I haven't done a recipe before, and kind of pieced it together from various recipes.

Estimated OG: 1.053 SG
Estimated Color: 19.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 36.2 IBUs

8.25 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Brown Malt (65.0 SRM)
0.40 lb Amber Malt (22.0 SRM)
0.40 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM)
0.30 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
0.20 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (30.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Perle [8.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 27.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 10.0 Hop 8 6.2 IBUs
0.25 oz Perle [8.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 2.5 IBUs

Yummy! I'm not well-versed enough to critique as to style, but I will say what I always say: Consider switching the 60-minute hops for a first-wort hop. You get better utilization and smoother bitterness (which is a thing, apparently). Just a thought. Otherwise, looks like it will come out good!

What's your yeast? S-04?

Yummy! I'm not well-versed enough to critique as to style, but I will say what I always say: Consider switching the 60-minute hops for a first-wort hop. You get better utilization and smoother bitterness (which is a thing, apparently). Just a thought. Otherwise, looks like it will come out good!

What's your yeast? S-04?

I was thinking I'd use 1056 American Ale

I hope it's good - my next batch is going to be similar:

2 row
caramunich
simpson's xtra dark
amber malt
chocalate malt
simcoe/tettnang hops
Mine is going to be a little hoppier than yours, but otherwise similar. I think it will be good, but it's mainly to use up already-crushed grain.

You gonna drop a bottle by Al Macinnis's place? You Nova Scotians do all know each other, right?

Nice recipe.

I tend to use brown malt only in porters, but that's me. I find it dries the brew out some and that works better for me in more roasty brews. My preference for brown ales is malty or malty and hoppy. So a little roast malt like chocolate and some crystal malts is my preference. YMMV.

I think you'd have a pretty nice brown if you replaced the brown malt with more Maris Otter.

Another really wonderful base malt for browns, bitters, milds, ipas and anything other than light colored brews is Vienna.

Thanks fellas! I will make a couple changes and brew it this afternoon.

And BrewMu...how'd you know all us Nova Scotians know each other..eh?

I think it'll be an excellent Brown Ale. Simplicity is always paramount in my brewery - my well-received Brown Ale has three ingredients in the grist, Pale, Crystal and Chocolate malts - but the Brown and Amber malts will I think add a nice something extra. You may wish to restrict yourself to one of those malts so you can change the recipe next time you brew it to the other malt. That's a fine excuse to brew more beer! :D

Bob

Back