My first partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GibbyGibson

Reaction score
I'm prepping to do my first partial mash where I'm steeping my specialty grains and using LME as the base malts but I had a couple questions. I'm using a mesh bag (I'm assuming it's called BIAB but not positive)

1) how much water should I steep in? I'm working on a stove top with ~3.5 gallons for my wort and 60 minute boil then adding water once in the fermenter and topping off to 6 gallons. I have less than 2 lbs of specialty grains. Can I steep in a smaller batch then add it to my brew kettle? Or should I steep it in the 3.5 gallons?

2) do I get it to the mash temp and hold it there with the burner on or do I turn off the heat and let it sit for the 30 minutes? Haven't seen a good answer yet.

Thanks for the input.

I'm prepping to do my first partial mash where I'm steeping my specialty grains and using LME as the base malts but I had a couple questions. I'm using a mesh bag (I'm assuming it's called BIAB but not positive)

1) how much water should I steep in? I'm working on a stove top with ~3.5 gallons for my wort and 60 minute boil then adding water once in the fermenter and topping off to 6 gallons. I have less than 2 lbs of specialty grains. Can I steep in a smaller batch then add it to my brew kettle? Or should I steep it in the 3.5 gallons?

2) do I get it to the mash temp and hold it there with the burner on or do I turn off the heat and let it sit for the 30 minutes? Haven't seen a good answer yet.

Thanks for the input.

If there are no base grains/ grains you are extracting fermentable sugars from then you are not really doing a partial mash, you're doing full extract. Steeping is not mashing, with steeping you are simply getting the color and flavor from the grains so you have a large window of temp range and there's no sparging required. Typically steeping only requires about 1.5 qt's/lb of grain. You can do it in about 2 gals water easily. I do partial boils which means I top off once in fermenter. If full extract just do 2 gal's bring to about 160 to 170 then cut your flame & add grains and leave for 30-45 min's. You shouldn't lose too much heat if you cover it but it doesn't matter as long as your temp doesn't go under 140-145. Squeeze the grain till the goodness is all out then add 1 gallon water and start you boil. You should have 3 gal at that point.

If there are no base grains/ grains you are extracting fermentable sugars from then you are not really doing a partial mash, you're doing full extract. Steeping is not mashing, with steeping you are simply getting the color and flavor from the grains so you have a large window of temp range and there's no sparging required. Typically steeping only requires about 1.5 qt's/lb of grain. You can do it in about 2 gals water easily. I do partial boils which means I top off once in fermenter. If full extract just do 2 gal's bring to about 160 to 170 then cut your flame & add grains and leave for 30-45 min's. You shouldn't lose too much heat if you cover it but it doesn't matter as long as your temp doesn't go under 140-145. Squeeze the grain till the goodness is all out then add 1 gallon water and start you boil. You should have 3 gal at that point.

The more I have been reading the more I realize I am not doing a partial but rather steeping Thank you for clarifying. It's my second brew and my first utilizing specialty grains. I guess I'm just a bit nervous about the outcome. I should start to heed everyone's advice and RDWHAHB. Thanks again Ballsy

Back